Multi-Line Text Boxes - Prefilling and Changing Height

-Lisa-

Here's a two part question regarding the use of multi-line text boxes:

1. Is there a way to adjust the height of a multi-line box or is it only the width? Right now, my boxes are showing only two lines of text and I need much more than that visible.

2. I need to prefill information into this text box but the prefilled information requires that I add a line break/hard return between two lines. I can do this from the actual form field but is there a way to do it when prefilling?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Eric,

I was told that I could not enter hard returns when pre-filling information which wound up being a problem however I never received an answer on whether I can adjust the height. It is so finicky that each time I configure a new template or erase my current configuration to an existing one, the height of the multi-line text box seems to always change. I haven't figured out why and no one at Printable seems to have the answer. Not ideal by any means. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Can anyone from Printable chime in here?

I've found that <br> tags cannot be prefilled in any type of text field.

I have also found they can be put in by the store user and have the preview in the store display with the break but the form can't be saved. Also, when the customer does that, the printable generated pdf I get has the <br> as text not the actual break.

Good luck with the form box height issue. FYI, I found out if you don't enter a value for the box width, sometimes Firefox browser makes the box width 0!

Hi,

The multi-line text field height cannot be customized in the manager. If you are having unexpected functionality in your store, please contact Printable Technical Support (note that sometimes the boxes appear strange in the manager, but they are correct in the store).

Also, please note that < and > are not supported characters in a Printable store and will generate an error when the user clicks "add to cart" - there are some customers who use other characters to replicate this functionality such as ^^ and **, this would need to be done using a JS rule in your template.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• 7 months later...
Hi All,

I actually have been advised that entering "& # 0 1 3 ;" (w/o spaces) in a text field will create a line break.

HTH

Hi Aislinn,

I finally had the chance to get back to this and I tried your suggestion above but it didn't work. I tried entering it as you advised - without the spaces - and it's not returning a line break. I tried with quotation marks, without, with spaces before and after the content that is supposed to appear before/after the break, and without and nothing seems to work. With all the new releases that have come out these past few months does this no longer work?

Thanks!

Hi Lisa,

Yes, you are correct, this has since changed. We no longer support entering html entities in our form fields. However, if you enable the Rich Text Editor, you can enter line breaks normally using that tool. This can be enabled for multi-line open text fields in our stores.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

HTH

I wonder if online Rich Text Editor see the difference between "line break" and "end of paragraph". I usually put line break as "Shift-Enter" and looks like RTE does not see the difference... Or maybe I have to use enother key combination for "line break"?

TIA

• 2 months later...

Archived