Variable templates on MarcomCentral

Christine

I am setting up a variable template.

Clients should be able to upload a spreadsheet with addresses of their clients and generate in that way a number of PDFs.

I prepared a template and uploaded it as a variable one. When I see it on the PTI Website (please see attached screenshot) it gives me the option to download a spreadsheet by clicking 'view variable data fields'.

The spreadsheet I download is empty though.

It also says 'no files existing'.

How can I achieve that I can download a spreadsheet with the variable data fields that the clients can then fill in with their information? The spreadsheet I used for setting up the template contains a number of columns which usually work fine for a versioned template.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks!

I suggest posting MarcomCentral specific questions in the MarcomCentral Forum. If you don't have access to the forum, contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM) for assistance.

When you click View Variable Data Fields, they should display in a pop-up window. If you don't see any Variable Data Fields in this window, maybe none exist. Make sure the fields are set to be Variable (VDP) via Template Setup. If Variable Data Fields exist they should be present in the downloaded file. If they are not, I suggest contacting support.

Edited by David Miller

Thanks for your answer!

I haven't got access to the MarcomCentral part of the forum, I already sent a request.

Whom can I contact to get access more quickly?

I have to test again what you wrote about the variable data fields. To my understanding the variable fields are there. When I download the file again from MC it is working fine.

My above problem is still not solved. I tried the following but it isn't working.

If I upload a file and click continue – continue, I can fill in the fields I am familiar with from versioned templates. The typed in information then gets displayed on the Preview, but the spreadsheet I uploaded doesn’t affect it at all.

Anyone any ideas?

1. Upload your File

2. Click Continue

3. Map your Data (VDP Fields)

4. Click Continue

5. Fill Out the Form (Version the Product)

6. Proof the Product

It is very important to do Step 3 correctly. Be careful mapping the Data File Fields to the Template Fields. Check the Sample Data column as well. Sample data should be displayed.

If this does not work, I'd go back and check the template.

Hi David,

Thanks again for your help.

I can go through all the above described steps, but the only information that ends up on the PDF proof is the information I typed in in step 5.

The spreadsheet seems not to have any effect at all (apart from that I can see the example information in step 3).

Strangely enough, if I click on 'variable data fields' in step 1, it is blank and also the spreadsheet I have the option to download is blank. Later, in step 3 and 5, there are variable data fields. Isn't that a contradiction?

I mentioned that in my first reply:

...When you click View Variable Data Fields, they should display in a pop-up window. If you don't see any Variable Data Fields in this window, maybe none exist. Make sure the fields are set to be Variable (VDP) via Template Setup. If Variable Data Fields exist they should be present in the downloaded file. If they are not, I suggest contacting support.

:-)