Fusion PDF is wiped when I update artwork???

fludnelb

Hi, something really weird going on with Fusion.

I had to update the background artwork (InDesign) and reimport it into my Fusion PDF, keeping all my variables in place... however, after getting the message about variable frames not being exported (where I click OK), I got an error message and the original Fusion Pro PDF has just completely disappeared! It has gone - I have searched everywhere on my computer and it is not there.

I tried again with another Fusion Pro PDF (I first saved it under another name) and it all seemed to work that time BUT all my variable frames had disappeared.

Tried it again - and the PDF file disappeared again!

So whatever happens, not only do I have to set it all up again from scratch (a PITA as there are a LOAD of variable fields!), it seems that I can no longer easily update background artwork???

Has this happened to anyone else? What on earth is going on?

Thanks

Anneli

Hello Anneli,

The issue maybe related to the last PDF Preset used in Indesign which actually creates the PDF. There maybe unflattened layers that could be obscuring the information. Try to re-export the design template using "High Quality" Preset, to see if this helps.

Also, you can use the following tip to help with transferring your variable layout and Rules from the original template to the new updated document.

Transferring Layout and Rules from a previous job

You need to make sure that if you are using FusionPro template Rules, select “FusionPro>>Edit Rules”. Highlight the Rule and click “Convert To JavaScript”.

Click “Ok”, “Ok” and save the template. This will ensure all the Rules will get transferred when using the solution I provided.

If you are building an identical job that has the same layout, variable frames, rules,but different data file with the same field names, and would like to eliminate

the need to reconstruct the FusionPro PDF; this tip will help.

First, click "FusionPro", "Data Definition", "Wizard".

Select "Import Data Source From Another Document".

Click Next.

Browse to the folder that contains the original pdf you want the information imported from.

The name of the file will have a ".def" extension. Select it. Click "Open".

Click "Finish"

Click "FusionPro", "Advanced", "Import".

A dialog box will appear with the following options preselected:

Variable Layout, Colors, Style.

Browse to the folder containing the original pdf .

Archived