Imposition and bleeds

This has been an ongoing issue to which there's not been any solution presented. The issue is that FP handles bleeds and imposes differently than MarcomCentral.

We recently built 20 or so templates in InDesign with 1/8" bleed on all 4 sides. Everything went beautifully when we composed the jobs in FP and looked at the imposed PDF output. Some of the impositions called for 1/16" bleed so that we could print four 6"x9" postcards on a 13" x 19".

However, when we uploaded the files and then proofed the imposed files on MarcomCentral they would not impose correctly - it was recognizing the original 1/8" bleed in the Indesign/PDF file and not the 1/16" bleed called for in the imposition - the cards had varying amounts of bleed and some edges didn't have any.

We didn't have time to trouble-shoot this previously unsolved problem and went back to InDesign and re-created all of the templates so that they had 1/16" bleed. These new files imposed correctly in both FP and MarcomCentral.

The question is this - what bleed should we allow in templates when we build the files in InDesign?

It's obvious to us here that imposition coming from FP (where the bleed is being handled correctly in our opinion) is different than the imposition coming from MarcomCentral. This means the output we see from FP is virtually worthless because to see what files are going to be delivered to the dashboard, the imposition must be proofed again after uploading it to MarcomCentral. We have noticed that since we upgraded to the most recent version of FP a couple of months ago that MarcomCentral is imposing things differently than it was prior to the upgrade.

Our hope is that we are doing something wrong from the get go in InDesign or in the Imposition but as I stated above, everything looks perfect before uploading to the storefront. Any help soon would be appreciated before we need to build our next templates.

Jeff - I don't have an example because we needed to scramble last weekend and fix all of our templates before going live on a very tight deadline and nationwide rollout for a 48 chapter association this past Monday.

My associate and I are now trying to assess this problem and several others we had in the development process (fonts not embedding at the store; elements not showing up at the store; the need to optimize PDF's before composing, etc.). However, we'll re-create the problem and send you the information. The product will be posted on a test site.

Until we do that, can you answer the question in my post: how much bleed should we allow in InDesign? What needs to be taken into consideration to determine the answer?

Thanks for your help!

Archived