Pages on Different Media

b_owens

Okay, I'm a newbie so please excuse my ignorance.. I have a VDP job that has 3 pages--the first goes on letterhead and the other 2 on plain sheets. Can someone point me in the right direction to accomplish this task? From what I've seen so far it looks like I will need to use PS commands, but I'm lost there as well. (fusionpro desktop v.5.8P1g) TIA

Hello,

Yes there is a way to print on different media, but the commands sort of depends on your specific machine. In the FusionPro directory ("C:\Program Files\Printable\FusionPro" on a PC) you will find a subdirectory called "DigimasterMedia". In there you will see a number of different page sizes and colors to use as a PS command. These are mostly generic in nature and should work on most machines that can run postscript native files. In order to use them, you must compile in postscript and that must be set before you can use the Page Media command menu.

What I would do is set the two pages that you need on plain paper to print on "white" and the letterhead that you want to print on "red" paper. Then on your printer, set one drawer to be programmed as "red" color and another to be programmed as "white" color. If all works out right, the letterhead will be called when the "red" paper command is run, and then it will switch to the "white" when the other PS command is run.

To use these two commands, copy them to the subdirectory that the template is in. Then go into the Composition menu and select the output type to be "Postscript" and hit save and cancel. Now you select "FursionPro - Advanced - Page Media". This bring up a menu where you first select the page, then enter in the name of the PS command file that you want to run either "before" or "after" that page has been processes. I normally select "before" and make sure that I set it for all pages that need that specific setting. If page 1 is to be on the letterhead with 2 and 3 on plain, then select "before page one to process" as the "red" PS command and set "before pages" two and three to run the "white" PS command.

Then compose a test run of a few records, program your printer drawers, and do a test run.

If you later use a PDF compile setting, the PS commands will not be used, but they will remain in the FusionPro page definition if you later compile to postscript again.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Kim,

I haven't heard of being able to do calls for tray types for any of the Indigo Printers. I would suggest contacting HP tech support, or maybe even blogging it in sites that deal with the users of Indigo printers: "dscoop.org" and "dicegroup.org" are the two that come to mind for me. However they are both membership groups.

Archived