Circular text frames

Brian F.

Is there a way to make a circular or polygon text frame stay that way when exporting the InDesign file to make a FP template? They always revert to square or rectangular. I have a designer who loves to use circles and arcs around variable text. :confused:

The best solution I've found is to turn the run around on in fusion in the text box with the copy and then place quite a few other rectangle text boxes around that to approximate a circle. The text boxes used to create the circle effect only need to be as small as the line height of the font.

Ok. I'm missing something here. When I do this the text leading changes from line to line. It is flowing fine as I start placing the boxes then suddenly the leading changes when I add the next box for run around (usually about 1/2 way into adding the boxes).

Am I not using the right measurement for my boxes? Say, .08 inches for 6pt type? Do I just monkey around with it until it flows right?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same problems with the leading and I can't seem to fix it. No matter how small the boxes. It seems the run-a-round is creating that inconsistent leading. I've tried repositioning the box to avoid a certain line of type, but no matter what, I get a gap in the leading. I just wish they came up with a way to place circular variable boxes.

Regards

Rayed

Yeah, I gave up. I was wasting too much time on it.

I tried filling the circle with several separate text boxes that were 1 line each with the overflow going from one to the next but then I couldn't have the copy centered in the space vertically. Its a no win situation.

It would be great if the variable frames supported circles, round corners or custom frame shapes, all that stuff we can do in InDesign. I think if enough wheels are regularly squeaking about it, it might happen.

Where is the suggestion box?

Archived