JLT and transparencies

acaprice

We have just purchased a new HP Indigo 7000 with Production Pro and everything runs smoothly except for JLT files out of Fusion Pro 6.1 on the Mac.

We do a datamerge using Fusion Pro and it references the PDF with transparencies in the CSV file and we compose a JLT file. When it rips the transparencies are ignored and replaced with boxes instead of glows and drop shadows.

If we export as a PDF out of Fusion Pro Desktop they rip fine. The problem is the PDF files take 10-20 times longer to rip.

Flattening the amount of files we process each day is too much and not very accurate as some transparencies don't work.

Any settings I need to set in Fusion Pro to handle these JLT files with transparencies, and why don't they work when the PDF compose works fine?

JLT and transparency don't make good playground buddies. PDFs work with transparency because Adobe generates the PDF code which is loosely based off of PostScript (not to mention your transparency was probably built in one of their graphic apps). JLT is an HP proprietary format and the transparency definitions are not built in to the current version of it's code.

If you want to use the JLT format, I believe your only option is to flatten your transparencies ahead of time. I'm not sure what you consider "too much" in terms of amount of files or how you are using these PDFs in your workflow, but it doesn't take long to flatten a PDF file and you only have to do it once per file.

Printable has nothing to do with this shortcoming, but good luck getting any kind of timely info on HP's DSCOOP forums. ;)

Yep HP finally sent info back that InDesign transparencies and JLT will not work. The time issue is the amount of files we print a day multiplied by the possibility of human error, thats all. We will go with PDF for now.

Thanks

When transparencies are in play we make a PDF of the page and then place into a variable graphic box in FusionPro.

Also, be careful of vignettes that bleed. When a PDF they are fine but when they are JLT there is no bleed.

Archived