How to Update a Template File

ksulliv1

Hi, I am having trouble understanding how to go about replacing an existing PDF that has been all set up and configured using FP, with an updated version of the same PDF that has some minor edits to the background copy. So I have used a PDF for a business card and have configured it with all of the fields, resources and rules via FP, and composed using an imposition layout, and collected and uploaded to our server as a web template all set to go. Now I have been given an updated version of the original PDF and just want to duplicate everything I have already done using the new PDF verses the original one. And if possible I would like to keep the old project intact as it's own item as sort of a document history, in case we need to revert back.

Thanks

I would just import the new PDF as a new page in your current template, then copy and paste the variable frames from one page to another. Then go into FP's Page Management and set the old page to unused (since you mentioned wanting to keep the old file for posterity's sake).

Alternatively, you could create a graphic frame on the bottom most layer of your template and create a graphic rule to import the background as a separate PDF with a specific name (or one derived from your data). Then you would just have to swap out your image with the new one without modifying your template.

Archived