Multipage PDF with Sequential Numbering

DPI

Is there a relatively easy way to automate the sequential numbering of a multipage PDF, so that I end up with page 1 of the PDF numbered x-xx, page 2 numbered y-yy, page 3 numbered z-zz, etc? For example, page 1 from 1-500, page 2 from 501-750, page 3 from 751-1200, etc.

Right now, I'm just splitting the PDF into multiple documents and basically setting up each page individually in FusionPro. My current job contains about 150 pages, so doing it my old fashioned way is gonna take more work than I'd like it to. :)

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mike

FusionPro 4.2P1d - Mac OS X 10.4.11 - Acrobat 7

I don't understand what you want on the final output. I don't get the connection between:
x-xx
and:
page 1 from 1-500
Are you saying you want the first page to print 500 times with page numbers 1 through 500 on them followed by page 2 printing 250 times with page numbers 501 through 750? A picture (or in this case a sample PDF) would be worth a 1K words. :)

Are you saying you want the first page to print 500 times with page numbers 1 through 500 on them followed by page 2 printing 250 times with page numbers 501 through 750?

Yep, that's it... in other words, if my original PDF were 3 pages, my output PDF would be 1200 pages, with the first 500 pages being page 1 of the original PDF sequentially numbered 1-500, the next 250 pages being page 2 of the original PDF numbered 501-750 and the remaining 450 pages being page 3 of the original PDF numbered 751-1200. Hope that didn't make it more confusing! :)

Ideally, the numbering counts would come from a data file, and not hard-coded into a rule.

Thanks!

Mike

Ideally, the numbering counts would come from a data file, and not hard-coded into a rule.

Well, if you were going to use a data file, I'm assuming you would just have 1200 records with a field denoting which page to use. You would then have an OnRecordStart rule to pull the correct, "unused" page (set up in you Manage Pages dialog) for each record based off the associated field. Page numbering would be a simple matter of pulling the CurrentRecord() and modifying or adding to it to generate your folio/page number.

Alternatively, with a more recent version of FP, you could use the RepeatRecord object(s) to repeat each record multiple times. You could then have a data file with just 3 records (one for each page of your template) along with a field indicating how may "copies" of each page was needed. I don't believe this is an option for FP 4.2 though.

Archived