Variable Content Question

jurgmay

Hi,

I have a solution in place which pulls in static PDFs based on the value in one of the data fields ('Product'). Depending on the product title the relevant document is composed by pulling in related PDFs, with the first page always being a covering letter. This works perfectly.

My question is this...

Is it possible to have variable text in the first page of each product pack? At the moment each page that is composed is static with just an address and date block overlaid with variable content. The position of these blocks is the same on every letter regardless of the product so it's very straightforward.

My customer as asked if they can add a variable piece of text into each covering letter but as they are effectively static pages that get pulled in by a script I'm unsure if this is possible?

Hopefully this makes enough sense for someone to understand what I'd like to achieve.

Regards,

Juergen

If you want to include variable data in the cover letter, you could opt to remove the copy from the static art being pulled in, and instead import it separately with a text resource. You could further add placeholder text in the resource that gets swapped out with data via a rule.

If you want to include variable data in the cover letter, you could opt to remove the copy from the static art being pulled in, and instead import it separately with a text resource. You could further add placeholder text in the resource that gets swapped out with data via a rule.

That last part sounds VERY interesting. Are you suggesting that I could have a number of text resources which would be different depending on a field value (such as 'Product') and that WITHIN that text I could have a variable? If so, this is opens up a huge number of possibilities which I had overlooked...

Are you suggesting that I could have a number of text resources which would be different depending on a field value (such as 'Product') and that WITHIN that text I could have a variable? If so, this is opens up a huge number of possibilities which I had overlooked...

The short answer is "yes." :D

Archived