Color selection ignoring rules?

BAndreas

Hello,

I've created a versioned business card template and have a drop down to select the color for the text. All text changes color per selection except for the "Hide Phone (Fax and Mobile) Number Label." Is there a way for my "hideFaxrule, ect." to appear in the "apply to" column of the Format_Select_A_Font_Color... field???

Thank you all.

Graphics Support: "The format fields only affect variable fields, and not static text. You either need to make everything that you want to change color into a variable (prefill a field with static text) or you would need to use javascript rules to select colors."

Anyone know what these javascript rules would look like? Will a customer still be able to select a color from one drop down to apply to all fields?

Thank you..

I don't fully understand what you are asking, but it sounds like an issue that should be posted in the MarcomCentral section. In theory, I don't see why a JS rule could not be created to add color tags to your text regardless of whether it was customer supplied (variable) or adde via a static, text resource.

To explain in detail:

I have a versioned business card with a drop down menu for selecting the color of all type. This worked fine until the "hide phone label" rules were put into effect. Now, I understand a js rule must be used to match the static text with the color selection chosen from the drop down menu.

Is this possible and wouldn't my rule have to reference the format field created in the template section of the manager to link the color options?

I still hold that because you are referring to drop down menus and managers, that this question is posted in the wrong section of the forum.

But, assuming your drop down menu for text color populates a field such as Field("Color") and your static text is set up as a constant in your script such as

var STATIC_TEXT = "This is the static text that appears on all cards that requires a specific color choosable by the client via the drop-down menu.";

then I see no reason why a JS rule could not be set up to alter STATIC_TEXT like so

var modText = "<color name=\"" + Field("Color") + "\">" + STATIC_TEXT + "</color>";
return modText;

If you need a more in-depth answer, you may want to post a sample of your FP Desktop template with some sample data so that we can better understand what it is you are trying to accomplish.

My sincerest apologies for placing in the wrong area. If I could accomplish this in the manager, I would have but it looks like a job for FP to me. Move or delete if you're displeased.

The template in question is below. All variable copy changes color per drop down except "hide" fax, phone and mobile labels. This static type needs to be returned the same color as selected for everything else.

http://www.acegroupnyc.com/cms_acegroup/forums/busCard.gif

Thank you for the assistance!!! Very appreciated.

How does text in other frames get assigned the correct color? As I suggested in my last post, I would assume there is a field to represent the color chosen which you would include in your hideFaxRule.

if (Field("Fax") == "")
  return "";
else
  return 'Fax:<t>' + Field("Fax");

would be modified to add a color tag such as (changes in red)

if (Field("Fax") == "")
  return "";
else
  return '[color="Red"]<color name=">' + Field("Color") + '">[/color]Fax:<t>' + Field("Fax")[color="red"] + '</color>'[/color];

The other variables are easily controlled by a drop down menu in the manager. "Add a format field" However, including phone, fax and mobile, ultimately disables the "hide" rules and produces no result.

http://www.acegroupnyc.com/cms_acegroup/forums/colorRule.gif

I understand how you arrived at:

return '<color name=">' + Field("Color") + '">Fax:<t>' + Field("Fax") + '</color>';

But how does this relate to the format field above?

Thanks again for your help.

I'd guess that when you compose an output file, you still get .def and .dif files? Perhaps you could open these in the text editor of your choice to try to determine how the "font color" in the Manager's respective dropdown is being fed to the data. Once you know how the color info is passed to the other frames, you can use the same info to modify your hideFaxRule.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about MarcomCentral which is why I keep suggesting you post this topic in that section of the forum to get users familiar with this issue to assist you. ;)

Graphics Support: ".. you would need to use javascript rules to select colors."

I think the only way to accomplish this is NOT in the manager but, I

appreciate your trying!

I asked support to provide an example of this.. last thurs.. :confused: Figured I could solve this before I heard back from them!!

Archived