Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > The JavaScript Library > Barcodes

Notices

Old July 17th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Forum n00b

Default Re: QR special character problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPN View Post
I've made a QR-code for business cards in FP 8.0 published on DSF (DSF only supports FP 8.0)

The business card sometimes contain special norwegian characters like Ć Ř Ĺ.
Hi,
First, sorry for my bad english.
I have the same problem...
I use FP 9.2.16 and DSF 7.2.0.20726+

I try to make QR-codes on business cards wich generate VCARDS.
Using special french characters like "é ŕ č ę oe" wich are not supported on some Android 's QRCode reader applets.
Some applets reads correctly the specials characters and some other don't.

In the last post, "Dan Korn" said that the problem was a fusionpro's javascript engine issue and would be resolved in next release.
Could you tell me in what release it will be ?
Or is there any other solution to solve it ?

Like embedding special characters with specifics programmation lines ? In the vcard format (as "FN;CHARSET=UTF-8;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:=41=72=6D=C3=A9=6E=69=6F=20=50=45=52=52= 45=49=52=41") or in the javascript Rule ?

Thanks in advance.
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarion63 View Post
In the last post, "Dan Korn" said that the problem was a fusionpro's javascript engine issue and would be resolved in next release.
Could you tell me in what release it will be ?
Or is there any other solution to solve it ?
The version to which I was referring in that earlier post here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korn View Post
This will be fixed in an upcoming release which fully supports Unicode throughout the FusionPro composition.
Is FusionPro 9.2, which you are already using. The Unicode characters are now encoded as UTF-8 in the QR barcode. Basically, FusionPro itself is now automatically doing what the workaround I posted in that other post does.
Quote:
Using special french characters like "é ŕ č ę oe" wich are not supported on some Android 's QRCode reader applets.
Some applets reads correctly the specials characters and some other don't.
That's an issue with those applets, then. If some apps are reading the barcode correctly, then the barcode that FusionPro is generating is valid. Those other apps probably are not handling the Unicode characters correctly. Therefore, the problem can't be fixed in the barcode, it can only be fixed in those apps.

That said, if you can prove me wrong and come up with an example of a QR barcode that all of your apps can read correctly, then I will be happy to examine the barcode and figure out exactly how it's encoding the data, and then we can figure out how to get that same data to be encoded by FusionPro.
Quote:
Like embedding special characters with specifics programmation lines ? In the vcard format (as "FN;CHARSET=UTF-8;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:=41=72=6D=C3=A9=6E=69=6F=20=50=45=52=52= 45=49=52=41") or in the javascript Rule ?
I'm not sure what you mean by "special characters with specifics programmation lines." What exactly is that data supposed to be encoding? If you can provide a more complete example of the barcode data, or even post a barcode, that would give me more context to work with.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Forum n00b

Hi Dan Korn,
First, thanks for your quick answer.

So, if i have understand, that's a UTF-8 reading's problem in some applets and not a javascript bug.

I'll try to be more precise :
- if i don't use specifics characters, any applet will read the qrcode.

-if i use specifics characters:
- When i scan my code with "QR Droďd" there 's no problem, it generate a vcard and offer to create a contact.

- When i scan my code with "Mobiletag","QR Code Reader",or "Barcode Scanner", the code only generate the vcard content in a text format and don't offer to create a contact.

Here is my files to let you test.

In my zip file, you will find :
- a folder wich contains android's screen results of scan.
- my pdf/fusionpro file
- an output test PDF file.

maybe i 've done something wrong or is it just an applet problem ?

Thanks in advance for your precious help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip QR TEST.zip (218.5 KB, 2 views)
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
So, if i have understand, that's a UTF-8 reading's problem in some applets and not a javascript bug.
Yes, it's a problem with those applets.
Quote:
I'll try to be more precise :
- if i don't use specifics characters, any applet will read the qrcode.
Yes, it's easier for someone making a free Android barcode scanner app to program it to just read Latin-1 characters than to program it to read Unicode. (Although, somewhat ironically, this QR technology was originally designed in Japan, where it obviously worked with Unicode. It's Western implementations of scanning apps that suffer from encoding issues.)
Quote:
-if i use specifics characters:
- When i scan my code with "QR Droďd" there 's no problem, it generate a vcard and offer to create a contact.

- When i scan my code with "Mobiletag","QR Code Reader",or "Barcode Scanner", the code only generate the vcard content in a text format and don't offer to create a contact.
Right, different scanning applications have different features and capabilities in this regard. Some have the ability to add contacts, and some don't. And some can handle different formats for contact data than others can. And some can handle accented Unicode characters in a contact, and others can't.

The QR barcode just contains some data. It's up to whatever app is scanning it to figure out how to interpret that data. In this case, the QR code just happens to contain data representing a VCARD contact, but not every app knows what to do with that.

At any rate, any such limitations in this regard are limitations in the scanning application, and there's nothing you can change in FusionPro, which is already generating a perfectly valid QR code with VCARD data, to get around them.

Now, that said, some apps might interpret a barcode containing MECARD data as a contact, even if they don't handle VCARD. So you could try that. Again, though, it's all specific to the app.
Quote:
Here is my files to let you test.

In my zip file, you will find :
- a folder wich contains android's screen results of scan.
- my pdf/fusionpro file
- an output test PDF file.
I don't see anything wrong with your template. I get exactly the same results that you got scanning the output, with the same Android apps.
Quote:
maybe i 've done something wrong or is it just an applet problem ?
I'm not sure how else I can word it, but yes, it's an applet-specific issue.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Forum n00b

Thanks a lot for your quick response and your professionalism Dan.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your quick response and your professionalism Dan.
No problem. Like I said before, there may be a particular contact format that's slightly different than what FusionPro is generating, which more mobile apps might be able to handle properly embedded in a QR barcode. If you can find such a barcode, which scans correctly in all of those apps, then I will be happy to take a look at it and figure out how to write a rule to make FusionPro generate barcodes like it.

But, if you're looking for a way to embed contact data into a QR barcode that every mobile barcode scanning app out there will handle correctly, I don't think you're going to have much luck finding that mythical creature, regardless of what program you're using to generate the barcode. It's a bit like the early days of the Internet, where you could write a perfectly valid HTML page, but different browsers would render it differently, and some browsers were just plain broken. (Actually, that's still kind of the way things are on the Internet.)
LinkedIn