Go Back   PTI Marketing Technologies User Community > Software-Related Talk > FusionPro® VDP Creator (formerly FusionPro® Desktop)

Notices

Old August 13th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Forum n00b

Default Font family, style issues

I am using a font called TFForeverTwo, an OpenType font, which has both medium and light attributes.

In FP, I have one line of copy that is in medium (the name) and the line below is in light (title), but I cannot select the medium or light options in the font pull down.

The font is correct in InDesign, so is there something in the export process?

Last edited by jprothero; August 13th, 2015 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: 2nd image does not show
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:22 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Default Re: Font family, style issues

FusionPro doesn't really differentiate between "Medium" and "Light" font styles, at least not on Windows.

In other words, like most other Windows apps (such as Word), FusionPro deals with font families, not with individual font files. A font family needs to have styles with separate bold and italic flags to differentiate them. So you can have up to four styles, or faces (Regular/Normal/Medium/Plain, Bold, Italic, and Bold + Italic) in a font family.

In FusionPro's HTML-like tagged markup system, you have <b> and <i> tags, and corresponding B and I buttons on the Variable Text Editor, to switch to bold and italic versions (faces) of a font within the selected family. This is all based on the idea that you should be able to specify that some particular text should be in bold or italic, regardless of what font family it's in, just like you can underline any text in any font.

So if one the fonts in your family was style Bold, then you could select that (and differentiate it from the "Medium" style) by pressing the "B" button in the Text Editor. But there's no "Light" style button to click like there is for "Bold."

In FusionPro on Mac, you can access all of the individual font files separately, by style, even if there are more than four styles in the family, as Mac fonts tend to not be family-oriented. But on Windows, you are still limited to up to four styles per family, where the styles have unique combinations of the bold and italic flags.

Some fonts are designed so that different styles (outside of the usual four) actually have different family names, in order to allow Windows programs to handle them separately. But it seems that your font was not made that way.

Also, InDesign and other Adobe apps works differently than most other Windows applications, with a more Mac-like way of handling individual font styles instead of families on both Windows and Mac. And it's also true that more Windows applications (and Windows itself) are moving in the direction of Adobe and Apple to use individual font styles instead of being family-centric. Later versions of apps like Word use a hybrid approach, where some fonts that are really in the same family appear to be in a different family in the font drop-down list, but this is not based on any standard. The bottom line is that Windows and Mac have historically handled fonts in completely different ways, and different applications deal with that in different ways, and how to knock down this particular Tower of Babel is still not settled in the computer industry.

We have talked about changing FusionPro to allow individual font selection on Windows as well as on Mac. But that would be a fundamental change to how FusionPro has always worked on Windows, so it's not something we want to rush.

More explanation about the differences in font handling between Windows and Mac from Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/legacy/kb/fo...e-linking.html
Also:
http://www.adobe.com/products/type/o...tml#subtitle_2
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@pti.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@PTI.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs. Please do not post proprietary font files to this forum.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});

Last edited by Dan Korn; August 13th, 2015 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Added link to Adobe tech notes.
Old August 14th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Forum n00b

Thanks, Dan. A suggestion was made to send the offensive font to one of our team members to convert it from a stylized font to two individual fonts, via a Mac. Is that possible though?
Old August 14th, 2015, 05:29 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprothero View Post
Thanks, Dan. A suggestion was made to send the offensive font to one of our team members to convert it from a stylized font to two individual fonts, via a Mac. Is that possible though?
Well, they already are two individual fonts: one called "TFForeverTwo Medium" and another called "TFForeverTwo Light". The issue is that they both have the same family name of "TFForeverTwo". What you can do as a workaround is to use some kind of font utility to change the family name of one them. For instance, you could change the one with the full name of "TFForeverTwo Light" to also have a family name of "TFForeverTwo Light" (which is probably how it shows up in FusionPro on Mac). There are font utility programs on both Windows and Mac that can do what you need; I would probably start with FontForge.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@pti.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@PTI.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs. Please do not post proprietary font files to this forum.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old October 11th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Forum n00b

Could you recommend a free Font Utility than can change font family name as you've described?

Last edited by A|G; October 11th, 2017 at 01:56 PM..