What is FP error no 1096?

billd6

I just tried to compose an important job and got the following:

A fatal error has occurred and FusionPro must abort.

It is possible the disk is full - no it's not I have 235 gig avail.

Composition stopped with error. Error no 1096

Not sure if it's a Mac error code of FP error code. When I opened the log file it was empty. Thought data file out of my mailing software might be corrupt but saw no problems after careful inspection with Excel.

Anyone else have this problem and hopefully a solution?!?

Mac OSX 10.7.5

Acrobat 10.1.4

FP 8.1.2

• 2 weeks later...
When this error occurs it is because the output file name is too long in the composition section under the output tab. Go to the output tab and change the last part of the file name to something less than 10 characters. You think the engineers and "support" gurus at PTI would have figured out this incredibly simple fix instead of recommending uninstalling entire suites...

When this error occurs it is because the output file name is too long in the composition section under the output tab. Go to the output tab and change the last part of the file name to something less than 10 characters. You think the engineers and "support" gurus at PTI would have figured out this incredibly simple fix instead of recommending uninstalling entire suites...

Thanks cutch. The 1096 error actually has multiple causes; it's kind of a "catch-all" for various problems creating output. That's why I asked for specific follow-up information about the job, because that information is extremely helpful in diagnosing such issues.

In the case where the file name is too long, I would expect that a composition log (.msg) file would still be created, and that it would contain a message such as this:

dlpdfdocwritepdf, progress "PDDocSaveWithParams", error: The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.

PDF Library Document Write Error: The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.

pdf_om_WriteDoc, dtl_pdf_WritePdf returned "-2"

Job aborted with error.

However, since the original poster said that a log file was not created, I suspect that he's having a different problem which also results in the 1096 error. I can't diagnose that without more information, however.

-----

At any rate, whether the original poster is running into the same issue or not, there is indeed a bug composing to PDF with long output file names on Mac. This appears to have been introduced in FusionPro 8.1.

Experimentation shows that the output file name limitation is actually 31 characters. It seems that we don't have a test case for such really long output file names on Mac.

I've entered a bug about this, case FP-11912.

At any rate, whether the original poster is running into the same issue or not, there is indeed a bug composing to PDF with long output file names on Mac. This appears to have been introduced in FusionPro 8.1.

Experimentation shows that the output file name limitation is actually 31 characters. It seems that we don't have a test case for such really long output file names on Mac.

I've entered a bug about this, case FP-11912.

The problem with output file names longer than 31 characters (FP-11912) has been identified, and a fix will be included in an upcoming 8.2 patch release.

I'm still not sure whether that is the same problem that the original poster was running into, however.

• 1 year later...

I just experienced the same error. In my case it was caused by accented characters in the filename. I was using the following Script to create a filename from the "Name" field in my data. There was a French name with accents in it. I was using the following javascript:

return Field("Job Number") + "_" + Field("Name").replace("È","e").replace("É","e") + "_" + Field("Store ");

This Part In OnRecord Start:

if (FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordNumber == 1)

FusionPro.Composition.OpenNewOutputFile(Rule("Filename Rule") + "." + FusionPro.Composition.outputFormatExtension);

I used the .replace command to fix the problem. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard.

• 1 month later...
Just got the same error, even with a short filename. Output as a pdf works fine, I only get the error when exporting as a ppml file. "**** Error **** Unable to read image from cache: /Users/<<me>>/Desktop/mannitowoc/mwoc.pdf, job is aborted" Edited by scottws
clarification

Just got the same error, even with a short filename. Output as a pdf works fine, I only get the error when exporting as a ppml file. "**** Error **** Unable to read image from cache: /Users/<<me>>/Desktop/mannitowoc/mwoc.pdf, job is aborted"

What version of FusionPro and the operating system?

• 1 month later...