PDA

View Full Version : QR Code for contacts

aronallenson
September 21st, 2011, 04:05 PM
I am finding some inconsistencies in the way different readers consume a QR code to add a contact. I know FP uses the mecard format.
I want to specify more details such as:
- business phone
- Mobile phone
- Work address
- Company name
- more
Is there a way to use vcard format in FP?

Windows 7, FP 7.2p1d, Acro 8

Dan Korn
September 21st, 2011, 05:02 PM
Yes, in FusionPro 7.2, if you go into the New Rule dialog and click Graphic, there's a template rule named "QR Contact (vCard)".

You can also search this forum for "vCard" and find a lot of other examples. In many of those other threads, you'll find my caveat that the vCard encoding is much more verbose and results in a larger barcode than the MECARD format. And I wouldn't count on vCard making your barcodes more portable either; if anything, there's less support for it among scanning devices than for MECARD.

aronallenson
September 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks, do you have any suggestions as to ways to load a contact via QR across that will devices and software?

One thought was using a QR to go to web page and then loading the contact from there. I haven't been able to activate the iPhone contact list via the web.

Thanks Dan

Dan Korn
September 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks, do you have any suggestions as to ways to load a contact via QR across that will devices and software?
Not really. This is still a fairly new technology, and support for reading the contact info and populating a contact varies greatly among devices. It's a bit like the early days of the Web.
One thought was using a QR to go to web page and then loading the contact from there.
Yes, this is fairly common as well. Obviously it requires an Internet connection.
I haven't been able to activate the iPhone contact list via the web.
I can't speak to that. You might want to try an iPhone-related forum.