Indigo import failing on "All" separation

I am trying to import a jlt file on an Indigo and it keeps erroring out on an "All" separation. There is an extra spot color, "White," included in the file along with CMYK, but no "ALL" color. I have the "spot colors" option checked. Anyone have a clue why this additional separation is in the jlt file?

Thanks in advance,

BC

I have seen the "All" separation on FusionPro jobs with spot colors as well. I always assumed it was like a composite channel that could be instructed to print with, say, the black ink to produce a digital dylux or blueline (do those terms age me?).

Anyway, I just spoke with my pressman, and he claims that the "All" color only shows up for SOME FusionPro spot color jobs, but not all. It ONLY seems to appear on FusionPro files. Neither of us can determine how, when or why this separation appears. Today, we tried to run a proof with only this separation and got a blank piece of paper.

What I can say is that when my pressman sees this separation color, he simply disables it on the press side and prints the job without hiccups. If you do find out the reason this color appears on the Indigo separations list, I'd be interested in knowing too even though our ignorance has not hurt production. :)

It's good to hear that at least someone else has run into this. Unfortunately, I can't get the press to import the file to be able to disable that separation. The import stops at about 5% and the log file says that it failed due to the color "All" not being installed on the press.

That does give me another idea though. I wonder if I can dummy an "All" ink on the press somehow....

Hello,

I would have to look deeper into this, but I believe the All separation as seen on the Indigo may be from crop marks that FP includes in output.

If you are running FP Desktop 5.8P2c or later, there's an option to force black for crops which may alleviate this. This is available in the Composition dialog on the Imposition tab and is labeled "Use Black Color for Crop Marks".

If this doesn't do the trick, compose a few records to PDF and view the output in Acrobat. Then, take a look at the separations view there in Acrobat and see where the "All" color is being used. Converting this element to CMYK should get around this issue.

hth.

Hi Mark,

When I rip the same file out to a PDF, there is no "All" separation. The PDF only contains the CMYK and White seps that are in my layout file. I even tried placing the PDF back into InDesign, adding a piece of copy in Registration, and then printing seps to see if a blank separation was hidden in there somewhere - no luck.

There are also no marks placed on the layout from FusionPro. We have a roll-fed Indigo and I build a timing mark (for die cutting) into the one-up file in InDesign, but it is black only.

I think I may have just found a workaround though. I opened a test jlt file in a text editor and changed the "All" in the header to another color that I have loaded in the press. I'm not sure how the separations will be affected, but at least I was able to get it loaded. I'm going to try the full production file now and see what happens.

Thank you,

Bob C.

I would have to look deeper into this, but I believe the All separation as seen on the Indigo may be from crop marks that FP includes in output.

If this doesn't do the trick, compose a few records to PDF and view the output in Acrobat. Then, take a look at the separations view there in Acrobat and see where the "All" color is being used. Converting this element to CMYK should get around this issue.

I can 2nd the fact that the PDF files do not contain this color -- only the JLT file. What I'm not sure about is wether or not the color appears for only the jobs with registration colored crop marks. As mentioned earlier, if I try to print only the "All" separation, I get no ink on the sheet which would suggest it is a bogus separation being generated on output. Unlike Bob, we have not had a problem with jobs erring out which contain this separation.

Archived