Spot colors convert to process in JLT

esmith

I am trying without success to print a variable data job with PANTONE 280 C set as a spot color to an Indigo 5000. If I create a test file in PDF format (with variable data) the color holds. If I save the same variable data job as JLT, the ink imports as a process build. Both the PDF and JLT files are being uploaded to a hot folder on the Indigo that supports the spot color.

My predecessor claimed to have figured out a solution. She reportedly defined the color in the Advanced/Colors... FP menu (even though the color was not used in a variable data element) so that the color would "pass through" to the JLT format. I tried that and it did not work for me.

I will try posting the same question on the HP Indigo forums (dscoop.org), but frankly their forums don't impress me much. I'm hoping a fellow FP user will have a solution instead!

Eric,

Have you selected the "Use Spot Colors" setting for JLYT? This is set in the composition dialog in the Output tab. With JLYT selected as the output format, press "Options", then tick the "Use Spot Colors" option.

The same setting exists for HP PPML as well.

http://forums.printable.com/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=14

• 6 months later...
I'm using 6.0P1f Mac. Selecting spot color in JLYT options does not prevent static elements from converting to process. Variable elements will, indeed, print spot, but not static elements. Print preview in Acrobat confirms that the static elements are spot color. What am I doing wrong?

I'll have to run a test on that this morning as I can't recall if I have tried a spot job on the newest software.

Are you defining your spot color in the Advanced/Colors palette in FP with exact name and color build from working files in addition to checking spot color box in JLT options?

The spot color is being defined by the export from Quark XPress. I have checked it to determine that it is indeed a spot color. I have used Acrobat Print Preview to determine that the element is in the correct spot color. I can choose the color for variable text which will come out correctly as a spot color. The static element from the Quark Document does not, however.

The spot color is being defined by the export from Quark XPress. I have checked it to determine that it is indeed a spot color. I have used Acrobat Print Preview to determine that the element is in the correct spot color. I can choose the color for variable text which will come out correctly as a spot color. The static element from the Quark Document does not, however.

The operative word here is Quark.. It is terrible with anything that is NOT CMYK or B&W.. If you have InDesign, do a small test with color blocks and see that it works. I've beat my head against the wall many times trying to get Quark and it's horrible color management to function.. You may even find that a Quark PDF placed into InDesign will work...

Try it and report back. If you need to, or don't have InDesign, you can send me a Quark PDF and I can run a quick test and send back..

-Mark-

Archived