JLYT output

hi all, when the Dashboard is processing a variable JLYT file, does it compose all the records before HP Production Flow picks it up, or does it give Production flow the template and data file and say "here's the stuff you need, you can compose it on your own"?

Hello,

When creating JLYT in FusionPro Web (or any of our other products for that matter), the result will be fully composed JLYT that can be sent to the press/RIP.

We do not support the creation of templated JLYT where the JLYT and data file are merged on the press mainly because the variable capabilities of this workflow (merge on the press) are much more limited when compared to the FusionPro VDP composition capabilities.

Hello,

For the file size question, this depends on the job. However, JLYT is most often larger in file size than PDF output. In a couple tests I've run, the JLYT is between 5% and 20% larger than the PDF of the same job.

I would say, though, that a bigger issue is that if you are printing VDP on an HP Indigo, it should really come down to performance on the RIP. For some customers, PDF for VDP is simply not a viable option (very long RIP times) whereas JLYT of the same job RIPs in a fraction of that time.

In the grand scheme of this, downloading 50MB vs. 60MB is nothing when compared to efficiency of RIP'ing the job. Using the right output format for the type of job on a specific RIP can literally save dozens of hours over a different output format.

in regards to the size question, how does HP PPML fare with JLYT and PDF? does it take Printable longer to compose HP PPML and JLYT? would applying an imposition file add to the process time?

you actually helped me on my other question regarding RIP times ;). we sent a un-imposed 2,200 record PDF from Printable to Production Flow and the total time it took to get to our S2000 press was 2.5 hours :eek:. so if i change the output format to JLYT (or maybe HP PPML) and let Production Flow consume/impose that, the RIP time should be significantly less?

how about file size on press? the PDF job i mentioned above is sitting at our S2000 with a file size of 9GB :eek: after it went through Production Flow. do you think a JYLT or HP PPML of the same job consumed by Production Flow would be smaller in size on press?

Hello Fabian,

The time of composition for a job to PDF vs. JLYT or HP PPML will vary from job to job. In some quick tests I ran, I was seeing JLYT take 5-10% longer to compose than PDF of the same job with FusionPro Desktop.

If you are composing this with FP Web, the speed of composition is already quite high (because FusionPro Servers are composing this job within the FusionPro Web backend) so there shouldn't be much in the way of excessive additional time being added to your workflow by going with JLYT/HP PPML over PDF.

I would suggest running some tests to see the difference between PDF and JLYT/HP PPML in your workflow. A good test would be to take a typical job of yours and compose, say, 1000 records of output with FusionPro Desktop. Compose this job 3 times - to PDF, JLYT, and HP PPML. Then, test the RIP time on each of these jobs with Prod Flow to see what the performance gain looks like. For many customers, the speed of JLYT and HP PPML over PDF is quite dramatic.

I can't speak to the size of the file on the DFE after it's RIP'd but you will also be able to see this in your tests.

I do recommend that you review the FusionPro and HP VDP Workflow document before running your tests if you haven't already.

thanks again mark ;)

im going to read the email you sent to john earlier and also read the PDF document for HP VDP.

we dont have FusionPro Desktop so i will need to test via FusionPro Web and the Dashboard.

if i do have any more questions, ill be replying back here. please keep an eye out on this forum thread :).

Archived