InputFileFormat Key in CFG File

Hello,

Started using tagged input files instead of flat files recently. I noticed that my CFG file InputFileFormat key is set to Flat regardless of the Input File format.

InputFileFormat=Flat

When we use tagged input files shouldn't the CFG file InputFileFormat key be set to Tagged?

InputFileFormat=Tagged

Thank you,

Dave Miller

Mac OS 10.6.3

FP Desktop 6.2P1a

Started using tagged input files instead of flat files recently. I noticed that my CFG file InputFileFormat key is set to Flat regardless of the Input File format.

InputFileFormat=Flat

When we use tagged input files shouldn't the CFG file InputFileFormat key be set to Tagged?

No. For historical reasons, that setting will always be "Flat" in a FusionPro job to denote that you're using a Data Definition (.def) file. The CFG file setting is "Tagged" only in older DL Formatter jobs with no rules or resources.

The input data source format is specified in the "Type" attribute of the <DataSource> tag in the .def file. In a JavaScript rule, this setting is exposed as FusionPro.Composition.inputFormat. It will be set to one of these values: "Delimited Text", "Fixed Length Text", "Tagged Text", "ODBC", or "None".

Dan, you wrote:

"...No. For historical reasons, that setting will always be "Flat" in a FusionPro job to denote that you're using a Data Definition (.def) file. The CFG file setting is "Tagged" only in older DL Formatter jobs with no rules or resources...."

This is not very clear to me. Consider a use case where templates prepared in Acrobat are later used/composed in a FusionPro Server. Are you saying that value of the InputFileFormat key of the CFG file is ignored by FP Server and instead value of the /DataDefDict/Assembler/DataSource/@Type is used instead (Let's say by FP Server 6.x)?

Dan, you wrote:

"...No. For historical reasons, that setting will always be "Flat" in a FusionPro job to denote that you're using a Data Definition (.def) file. The CFG file setting is "Tagged" only in older DL Formatter jobs with no rules or resources...."

This is not very clear to me. Consider a use case where templates prepared in Acrobat are later used/composed in a FusionPro Server. Are you saying that value of the InputFileFormat key of the CFG file is ignored by FP Server and instead value of the /DataDefDict/Assembler/DataSource/@Type is used instead (Let's say by FP Server 6.x)?

Yes, effectively the value is ignored, and you can feel free to ignore it as well, because as David discovered, it's ALWAYS going to be set to "Flat" in a FusionPro job, which any template created with the FusionPro Acrobat plug-in is, by definition. I'm sorry if I confused things by describing how this setting worked historically in the pre-FusionPro days, but it doesn't have any meaning in any version of FusionPro. The Data Definition file, as its name suggests, defines the attributes of the input data source, including its format, which is also accessible via the FusionPro.Composition.inputFormat property in JavaScript.

Archived