Displaying characters from foreign names

J_Ruskin

I have a question? I am trying to output data that contains different characters in the names and addresses from foreign countries. Germany, Korea, Turkey. They are not displaying correctly when outputting my file. These characters are fine in the excel document but then apparently convert when a .txt file is created. When I import the excel file some of the characters appear but not all of them, mainly the korean characters. I am exporting the data out using helvetica. Is this my problem? Any suggestions on how to get my data to output correctly?

Thanks

It's hard to say exactly what you need to do without the collected job files, as well as information about the versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system.

I'm also a bit confused as to whether you're using the Excel file directly as the input to FusionPro or exporting it to a text file which you then use as the input. If it's the latter, you're probably better off importing the Excel directly and reducing the number of conversions.

Also, what exactly do you mean by "not displaying correctly?" What exactly are you seeing?

A picture might be worth a thousand words here. Collecting up the job, and posting it here would be better. Collecting and posting a minimal sample which demonstrates the problem would be best.

A few general things to keep in mind:

* Always do a full composition (not just a preview) and look at the log file. It likely contains some clues as to what's going wrong and how to fix it.

* You need to use a font that supports whatever characters you're trying to output. Not every font supports every Unicode character, though there are some "Pan-Unicode" fonts which try to handle a lot of them, such as Microsoft's Arial Unicode MS and Google's Noto.

* If you're using a text file as input, you may need to specify its encoding in the Define Data Source dialog.

* Depending on the Unicode characters you're outputting, you may need to UN-check the "Limit processing to Latin-1 / Mac Roman" box on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog.