Edit OnCopyfit for integer point sizes only?

esmith

When I use the default OnCopyfit rule, affected text is allowed to resize to any real number. However, outputting to the JLT format requires integer point sizes only. To date, we have been saving jobs with copyfit requirements as PDFs in order to allow copyfit to take place. Is it possible to modify the rule to check the modified point size and then alter real number to nearest integer?

On the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog, check the box, "Force all text to integral point size."

OK, but couldn't you come up with a more difficult solution?? ;)

When I check that box and output as a PDF (just to proof the result on screen), I get the following composition error on all records:

Composing record #1, input record 1

OnCopyfit, line 3: warning: Could not copyfit text in flow

However, when I view the PDF, everything looks good. With the box unchecked, I don't get these errors. Is there a particular reason I get this error, and should I be worried if the resulting PDF looks fine on screen?

However, when I view the PDF, everything looks good. With the box unchecked, I don't get these errors. Is there a particular reason I get this error, and should I be worried if the resulting PDF looks fine on screen?

There probably is a particular reason, but I have no way of discerning what it might be without looking at your particular job. Whether the output "looks fine" is a subjective thing that I can't answer for you, nor can I really tell you whether you should be worried about the message.

Well, having some data too would be nice, but from looking at the template, I think the problem is that the copyfitting is indeed failing, because the text cannot be adjusted to fit within the parameters of the MagnifyAttributes object in the OnCopyfit function. It probably has something to do with that 300 point leading you're specifying in the tagging.

Anyway, the copyfitting is failing, so the text is coming out as if you didn't have Copyfitting turned on. So one sure way to stop the warning message is to just turn of Copyfitting.

If you really want copyfitting to work, you'd be better off just entering the variables into the text editor and setting the point size and such right there in the GUI instead of making a rule to return tags.

I thought leading was defined in 1/10th points? I am setting 30 point leading for 28 and 24 point copy (name and location respectively).

Yes, you're right, sorry about that. Regardless, though, my answer is still the same: just turn of copyfitting since it's not doing anything anyway, or use the Text Editor to set the variables and the text style instead of using tags.

Archived