POSIX naming and path size

tim

I am not sure if this is a bug, an issue or just something to do with POSIX specifications. I recently upgraded to version 5.1 on my Mac FusionPro. Since that time I, as well as others who upgraded before me, have been running into issues with getting images to load in previews and compositions as well. I think this has something to do with the number of characters in the file name or possibly the overall path size. It appears on my longer named files that are shortened in the naming of the converted pdf. This was the case when I was using version 4 as well. However now I get errors even though I see the pdf files in the directory specified. If I shorten the name and update the code to reflect this the images load. This issue does not appear to happen if I specify the graphic in my csv file, but I have not done extensive testing on this yet. It seems as if when I call to create a resource in the javascript the code works to create the pdf but it cannot find it afterwards like it is not taking into account the new name given in the process. Maybe I just have something set incorrectly, but is there a known solution to this problem? Is this a bug or just a limitation to the new naming convention? Any ideas on this would be appreciated. Just renaming everything would probably work, but it would be very time consuming and mess up naming conventions thus causing chaos. I did not see anything regarding this issue in some searches I did, so hopefully it is not a repost of anything.

Does anyone happen to know what the number of characters in a file name and total path are? The problems I am having are with file names that are around 34 characters and have total number of 67 characters in the absolute path. Everything I am finding is saying 255 characters for the filename. Thanks for the help.

I would like to hear a bit more on this as well. I have had issues with file names getting truncated and breaking composition. I have been told that the file name length is due to an Apple limitation, but I know I can name a file up to 255 characters without issue in OS X. Is there something else contributing to this limitation?

This is really starting to become more and more of a problem for us as we have hundreds of files in our storefront and trying to keep the file names descriptive and meaningful, yet unique and under 32 characters is a struggle.

Archived