Transparent Box

Is it possible to have a box with a transparent background?

I have a static background image that has a semi-transparent box with a solid color background covering part of the background image. I would like the user to be able to select the color of transparent box that is in front of the background image.

Thanks.

If I understand the question, you can't make a FusionPro variable frame with a partially transparent fill. You need to bring in a partially transparent graphic into a graphic frame. If you know all the possible colors that will be needed, you can create a set of graphic files, such as PDF files, each one with a partially transparent color, then have a graphic rule that selects one to put into the frame.

Thanks. Unfortunately that won't work in this case. I'm having the user input CMYK values, so I won't know all the color options.

You can create a color from CMYK values and apply it as the fill color of a frame, but it won't be transparent.

There is no way to make a box transparent, right?

Sure, you can set the fill to None. But I'm still not sure I understand what you're really asking. I mean, your original question about how to "select the color of transparent box" is confusing, since a transparent box has no color, by definition.

Edited by Dan Korn

Dan,

Sorry I wasn't clear. It sounds like what I am trying to do is not possible. It would be to take the CMYK values that the user inputs and use that as a fill color of a box at 50% transparency so the static image underneath shows through.

Thanks,

Jake Merrick

Dan,

Sorry I wasn't clear. It sounds like what I am trying to do is not possible. It would be to take the CMYK values that the user inputs and use that as a fill color of a box at 50% transparency so the static image underneath shows through.

Not with a fill color. You would need to use a partially transparent graphic.

You can set the opacity of the image box to 50% and allow the user to select the CMYK values per Dan's suggestion.

No, that won't work. 50 percent of a color will just make the color lighter, e.g. red will become pinkish, but it won't be partially transparent.

I think there is a solution, though, to use a CreateImageFromData call, similar to what the graphic QR barcode does. That's a bit beyond the scope of what I can do here on the forum, though. Someone else is free to try it. But you might want to inquire about custom template-building work through our Support portal.

If you use PitStop as your PDF editor you can use the 'Inspector' tool. Select the image(s) --->Fill and Stroke ---> Transparency. Set Blending to 'Multiply'. You can also set the 'transparency' value. Of course, in FusionPro, the graphic frame containing the PDF with transparency has to be layered above the elements that you want to 'Multiply' over.

Here is a solution. (You may have already received a version of this from Support, jmerrick.)

The attached template calls CreateGraphicFromString with the contents of a PDF file, most of which is read from a resource. Some replacements of the PDF contents are done based on data fields which specify the percentages of Cyan, Yellow, Magneta, and Black for a CMYK color, as well as a transparency (opaqueness) percentage.

I believe this meets the requirements stated, and it should be fairly simple to adapt this to your specific job and data.

transframe-template.pdf