FP VDP 9.2.25 and Font selections

I've installed this Mavericks-compatible version and all is fine, yay!

But then I discovered that when I ran a weekly job that the font Calibri (regular) merged as Calibri light. I went back to my template and noticed that I could no longer select each flavor of a font family from the drop-down menu, I could only select the overall font family. This left Calibri-light as the default when selected, I could then choose italic, bold, or bold-italic from there but could not get Calibri (regular).

My work-around was to delete the Calibri light fonts from the PTI library, Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts and edit the Fonts.ini file.

I hope to see the font selection drop-down menu return in the future. For those who may use one of the 30 Helvetica Neue fonts, you'll have to be extra creative.

If there's something I did wrong, or a preference I need to turn on, please let me know. Thanks!

I'm having the same issue with the latest release of FusionPro 9.2.25. It appears to be happening to a lot of otf fonts.

I am using FontExplorerX 4.2. And Mavericks 10.9.2

Here is an excerpt of my fonts.ini showing the different styles of a font grouped together

ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std BerkeleyStd-BoldItalic Bold Italic 1 1 W OpenType PostScript /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-BoldItalic.bfk /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-BoldItalic.pfa /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-BoldItalic.otf /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-BoldItalic.ufk

ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std BerkeleyStd-Bold Bold 1 0 W OpenType PostScript /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-Bold.bfk /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-Bold.pfa /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-Bold.otf /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-Bold.ufk

ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std BerkeleyStd-BlackItalic Black Italic 0 1 W OpenType PostScript /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-BlackItalic.bfk /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-BlackItalic.pfa /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-BlackItalic.otf /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/BerkeleyStd-BlackItalic.ufk

Edited by ScottHillock

Thanks for letting us know about this, Dale. You're not doing anything wrong; this was an unintentional change. We're looking into it right now. We should have a patch to 9.2 with a fix for this next week. In the meantime, editing the fonts.ini is a reasonable workaround.

I'm having the same issue with the latest release of FusionPro 9.2.25. It appears to be happening to a lot of otf fonts.

I am using FontExplorerX 4.2. And Mavericks 10.9.2

Here is an excerpt of my fonts.ini showing the different styles of a font grouped together

In the case of font families like the "ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std" family in your excerpt, which have just the standard four styles (Regular/Normal, Bold, Italic and Bold+Italic), you're better off using the common family name anyway, and specifying bold or italic styles with the B and I buttons in the Text Editor, or with <b> and <i> tags. It's only for fonts which have non-standard styles, such "Light" or "Medium," that you need the older functionality restored.

So you are all saying I need to do is delete the fonts not showing up from the .ini file? I cannot get HelveticaNeueLTStd-Hv.otf or Helvetica Neue LT Std 85 Heavy to load. How did any of this loss of functionality get by your beta testers? Pretty sure we all use similar font workflows......

So you are all saying I need to do is delete the fonts not showing up from the .ini file? I cannot get HelveticaNeueLTStd-Hv.otf or Helvetica Neue LT Std 85 Heavy to load.

You don't need to delete any fonts. You only need to edit the family name in the first column of the fonts.ini file. Make sure you are editing the lines which correspond to the correct .ttf or .otf file on disk. There should be some lines in your fonts.ini starting with something like "Helvetica Neue LT Std 85"; those are the ones you need to edit.

How did any of this loss of functionality get by your beta testers?

This particular bit of functionality, to show the "full" font name as the family name, is Mac-specific, and there was no Mac beta testing round for 9.2. Once we got all the Mac code ported over to handle Japanese and Chinese UI (and work on Mavericks), we went right into QA testing, and when that passed, we released the software. I suppose we could have further delayed the release for beta testing, but we didn't want to make everyone wait even longer. The reason the font loading logic changed is because we now load fonts with their Japanese and Chinese names if FusionPro is running in one of those languages. Unfortunately, that changed things a little more than we intended on Mac. Also unfortunately, our QA regression testing suite on Mac, which is based on the Windows regression testing suite which only uses standard font family names, didn't explicitly test for this particular functionality. It's hard to anticipate problems that haven't happened before. But we're updating our testing procedures to guard against this specific problem in future releases.

Pretty sure we all use similar font workflows......

If only that were the case, my life would be easier.

Anyway, I apologize for the inconvenience. Like I said, we expect to have a patch release with a fix for this next week.

Thanks for the explanation Dan.

I think I will wait for the patch since after editing the the .ini file I see the fonts in the drop down but cannot seem to have them stick in the frame editor. Even when I manually tell it to replace it does not adhere to the replacement.

Can you elaborate on how to edit the fonts.ini file? I'm having the same issues. What exactly needs to be changed? I can change the name in the first column, but then I can't select it from the font menu. It reverts back the previously selected font when I try.

Can you elaborate on how to edit the fonts.ini file? I'm having the same issues. What exactly needs to be changed? I can change the name in the first column, but then I can't select it from the font menu. It reverts back the previously selected font when I try.

If someone could fill in the blanks here that would helpful. Having the same issue.

Okay, I will try to explain further. You need to change the font family name in the first column of the fonts.ini file. It's easiest to open the file in Excel, or some other editor where you can see the tab-delimited format. You also need to make sure that the font family name you type is a valid name of a font on OS X. Also, you may need to change the family name on multiple lines. You also have to be careful that you assign the correct name to each style of the font. The columns with the 0 and 1 in them denote bold and italic styles, respectively. The PostScript name in the third column usually provides a hint about the style as well, as does the fourth column, which is the style name. If you want to fully replicate what FusionPro 9.1 and earlier did, you'll also want to duplicate each font style (copy the line in fonts.ini) with the original, nominal font family name, so that you can access the font that way as well.

Unfortunately, I can't provide much more help than that. Normally, we strongly advise against modifying fonts.ini. However, there is no other workaround for this bug at this time, other than to use the "standard" font family names.

Yeah this is a mess and I'm certainly not making changes to the .ini file every time it comes up since we have 34 recurring templates for MCC as well. I am virtualizing Lion or Mountain Lion and running it that way until PTI sorts this business out. Thanks for the help Dan and the effort on the workaround.

I am still getting the default fonts that should not be default. For instance, the font that I had been using in a text property prior to this was Times Lt Std Bold and it keeps defaulting to Times LT Std Bold Italic. I cannot seem to change the font either.

However, there is no other workaround for this bug at this time, other than to use the "standard" font family names.
Can you elaborate, then, on using the "standard" font family names. The font I need to use, "Trade Gothic Bold Condensed No. 20," isn't showing up anywhere. What would be the "standard" font family name and how do I use it?

I am still getting the default fonts that should not be default.

What do you mean by "still?" Do you mean with 9.2.26? And what do you mean by "should not be default?"

For instance, the font that I had been using in a text property prior to this was Times Lt Std Bold and it keeps defaulting to Times LT Std Bold Italic.

Okay, you're getting into an area that's very difficult to analyze here on the forum. At a minimum, I would need to see the old and new fonts.ini and fonts.err files, from FusionPro 9.2 and from the older version, to compare. Having the font files (the various .ttf or .otf files that make up the family) would be handy as well. But generally, posting fonts to a public forum like this violates the font licensing, which is why my signature says that all font-related issues should go through Support, which, by the way, this forum is not a substitute for.

What about selecting "Times Lt Std" and then clicking the B button?

I cannot seem to change the font either.

Please elaborate. What exactly happens when you select a different font?

Can you elaborate, then, on using the "standard" font family names. The font I need to use, "Trade Gothic Bold Condensed No. 20," isn't showing up anywhere. What would be the "standard" font family name and how do I use it?

Generally, a font family name does not have any style name such as "Bold" or "Italic" in it.

The way to find out for sure what the family name is for any font is to open the Font Book application on Mac. The fonts are organized by family in the Font Book, and doing a "Get Info" (Command-I) on any font should show you the family name as well. That's what I mean by "standard" family names, as opposed to "full" font names.

You probably have a font family named "Trade Gothic" with a style named something like "Bold Condensed". Again, though, without seeing at least any relevant entries in the fonts.ini and fonts.err files, let alone the font files themselves, I can't really know for sure. But those things should be sent to Support, not posted here on the User Community forum.

The problem presented in the original post in this thread, that the Calibri Light font was not showing up in the list of fonts, is fixed by the 9.2.26 release. However, we don't have access to every single font in the world to verify that they all are processed the same way as in older versions. The only way we can possibly analyze font issues is via Support.

Dan,

I'll present the issue to support with all available instances I can gather but what you all call "fixed' might need some reinterpretation sir.

Thanks. Like I said, the only thing that I know for sure is "fixed" is the problem reported in the very first post in this thread, specifically regarding Calibri Light.

• 1 month later...

I'm relatively new to FusionPro and am having the same font issue running 9.2.25 on a Mac with OS X Mavericks (10.9.3) and Adobe Acrobat 11.0.07. Just wondering if a fix for this is in the 9.9.26 version or if this is still an active issue.

Thanks,

Dave

I'm relatively new to FusionPro and am having the same font issue running 9.2.25 on a Mac with OS X Mavericks (10.9.3) and Adobe Acrobat 11.0.07. Just wondering if a fix for this is in the 9.9.26 version or if this is still an active issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the same font issue." Multiple issues, with multiple fonts, have been brought up in this thread, some of which are fixed in 9.2.26, and others which are not. (And many of the issues reported have been, at best, vague and difficult to reproduce.) It's impossible for me to say which group your issue is in without more information.

We do have another build in QA right now with fixes for some of the other font issues which have been reported in 9.2.26.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the same font issue." Multiple issues, with multiple fonts, have been brought up in this thread, some of which are fixed in 9.2.26, and others which are not. (And many of the issues reported have been, at best, vague and difficult to reproduce.) It's impossible for me to say which group your issue is in without more information.

We do have another build in QA right now with fixes for some of the other font issues which have been reported in 9.2.26.

I am working on a job that uses multiple styles of Helvetica Neue LT Pro, all of which are OpenType fonts - 25 Ultra Light, 45 Light, 65 Medium, and 75 Bold. Loaded on my Mac via Font Book, all are active. In the font list of the Variable Text Editor window in Acrobat, I can see "Helvetica Neue LT Pro" but I can't select it, let alone see any of the styles.

The 75 Bold and 65 Medium fonts are used in text boxes in InDesign CC that contain static text as well as boxes that I have tagged as variable text using the FusionPro plug-in. Neither of them show in the FusionPro Font Usage window in Acrobat and the type using them defaults to regular Helvetica when first exported from InDesign and opened in Acrobat.

Dave

I am working on a job that uses multiple styles of Helvetica Neue LT Pro, all of which are OpenType fonts - 25 Ultra Light, 45 Light, 65 Medium, and 75 Bold. Loaded on my Mac via Font Book, all are active. In the font list of the Variable Text Editor window in Acrobat, I can see "Helvetica Neue LT Pro" but I can't select it, let alone see any of the styles.

The 75 Bold and 65 Medium fonts are used in text boxes in InDesign CC that contain static text as well as boxes that I have tagged as variable text using the FusionPro plug-in. Neither of them show in the FusionPro Font Usage window in Acrobat and the type using them defaults to regular Helvetica when first exported from InDesign and opened in Acrobat.

I think you'll have better results with 9.2.26, which should load more styles of the font. It's at least worth a try. If you have other font issues with 9.2.26, you may need the newer version (which we're QA testing now), but I don't think you have anything to lose by going to 9.2.26.