Copyfitting Multiple Lines & Suppressing When Empty

-Lisa-

Hi all!!!

I'm working on a piece which consists of four lines. My variable fields are actually broken out into separate lines of text: Line1, Line2, Line3, and Line4. When the data entered in Line1 is too large, I need all four lines to copyfit to the same size. Taking this one step further, I need all of the lines to suppress if empty.

I thought I could use the CopyFitLine function by entering all four fields into one rule with line breaks however I can't get the lines to suppress when empty when I try to use this rule.

Thoughts?

When are entering the fields into the variable frame, highlight all four lines, choose Paragraph from the the upper right of that same window. Place a check box in the box "Suppress if" and make sure it says empty. Also directly above that pull down box, put a check next to "Do not break on Copyfit" Hit the OK button to take you back out to the "Text Frame" Palette and select the "Overflow" button at the bottom. Select the radio button "Adjust text to fill". I never select the item below that because I usually don't want the type to get any bigger than I already had it.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your suggestion! Unfortunately I have three different color choices for the text so I'm using text resources and I can't select the Overflow unless I had my fields in the actual text box itself. I tried putting the resource name into the Copyfit rule but that's not working either. This one has me stumped!

Archived