with VDP Business card

Achim

Hi,

I'm having trouble with items which are sometimes active (cell number) and sometimes not. If not the complete text has to move down. additional i have some static text (email), which as to disappear when there is no email. The "suppress if" doesn't work because id have 2 variable and a static text.

I attached a file, hopefully this makes it clear (the green is the variable blocks).

I'm new to all this and have no idea how to write rules (i guess thats what i need)

thanks

Achim

I don't see an attachment in your original post. If text needs to move down when content is not included, you should be able to just bottom-align your variable text frame and instruct lines to suppress if empty. As for static text not displaying when the associated variable field is empty, you are correct that you need a JavaScript rule to solve your problem. Seeing that attachment would help us get you moving in the right direction.

Thanks for the upload. Assuming the green highlighted text is your variable content, and you want to drop lines for Cell and Email for records that have no data in those fields (like your example record), you would write a separate rule for each record:

RULE_Cell:

return (Field("Cell+1") != "") ? "Cell + 1 " + Field("Cell+1") : "";

RULE_Email:

return (Field("E-mail") != "") ? "E-mail " + Field("E-mail") : "";

Then, in your variable frame, your editor would have something like the following:

Field("Business")

Field("Address1"), Field("Address2"), Field("City"), Field("State") Field("Zip)

RULE_Cell

RULE_Email

You would then choose to bottom-align the frame and set to suppress if empty so that lines collapse down instead of up. You could create a 3rd, similar rule to deal with suppression of static commas in your "street/city/state/zip" line so that extra commas are removed when necessary. I'll let you set that rule up using the other two as a guide. ;)

Erik,

its me again.

I had to do the same with the fax and phone number. i copied your "cell" rule and placed the right field names in. Everything works, but if i add a tab in between the phone and fax, the line doesn't collapse down anymore.

What did i do wrong?

You can't add static "characters" (including spaces and tabs) directly in the text frame. Instead you need to add these things to the rule(s) so that everything is generate from one location. For tabs, you'll need to use tagging which is explained in the Tags Reference documentation which can be accessed through the Documentation option in the Fusion Pro menu in Acrobat.

Archived