need help taking information from uploaded exel file

Allegra

Hey,

I was wondering if there was any way i could make a rule that would take the information from a specific cell of an excel file my customer uploads and return that information as text in my piece.

Or if you have any better way of uploading versioned pricing for 60+ items on a menu, please let me know.

Thanks,

Meir Galimidi

If the "cell" is just a specific row and column in the Excel file, and it can be exported as a CSV or tab-delimited file, then you could use the ExternalDataFileEx object to access the particular row and column, something like this:

var file = new ExternalDataFileEx("myfile.csv", ",");
return file.GetFieldValue(RowNumber, ColumnNumber);

If your question is specific to FusionPro Web, I recommend asking it in the Web-to-Print subforum.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dan,

just a quick clarification.

var file = new ExternalDataFileEx("myfile.csv", ",");

return file.GetFieldValue(RowNumber, ColumnNumber);

what are in the two spaces between the commas on that first line of code with the single quote? Do i put any information there or leave them as a single quote each?

-Meir Galimidi

Allegra Print and Imaging

I think I need to be a bit more specific. Bare with me, I’m fairly new to this.

I am trying to make a versioned item. There are 41 different variables, 32 of which are prices.

I don’t want to make my customers have to type in 41 different text boxes, so I was hoping I could save them the trouble by having them upload an excel file that we would provide the template for. This way all their prices are arranged how we want them.

Is there any way they can upload an excel file with a versioned product, and take information from that excel file to put into different text boxes.

I tried out Dan’s method, slightly altered to this:

var file = new ExternalDataFileEx("15015prices.csv","","");

return '<superscript>'+"$"+'</superscript>'+file.GetFieldValue(100,'B')+" "+'<superscript>'+"$"+'</superscript>'+file.GetFieldValue('100','C')+" "+'<superscript>'+"$"+'</superscript>'+file.GetFieldValue('100','D');

It only returns the superscripted dollar signs without the spacing or field values.

Can this work on a versioned item? and if it can, any ideas as to how can i make it work?

I am using fusion pro 5.8, adobe acrobat professional 8.1, and windows XP

-Meir Galimidi

Allegra Print and Imaging

Archived