Suggested specs for new FusionPro/Expressions computer

paulgmc

I am looking for suggested specs for a new Windows 7 computer that will be used for FP Desktop composing. We also will have Expressions Creator on it, and sometimes our FP layouts will call an Expressions template. We are a mid-sized commercial printer and compose to either PDF (for our B&W copier) or VDX (for our color NexPress). We will be running Acrobat Pro 9 on it.

Currently we compose on a Dell Celeron, single core 3.2ghz, 2gb RAM running XP SP3. We have Acrobat 7.0.4, FusionProDesktop 7.0P1c and Expressions Creator 3.1.7.

I checked the minimum specs on Printable's website (1gb RAM, 2ghz processor). We would like to get something that will comfortably run jobs now and for the next number of years.

Suggested amount of RAM?

Suggested number of processor cores?

Graphics card: I assume to just get a standard card

Other things I should consider?

According to FusionPro tech support, current FP software only uses 1 core. However, might future updates utilize more cores? Or is it more critical to invest in more RAM or a faster processor?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. One more question. We generally compose over our gigabit network (the job files are not on the local machine). This has been working OK for us for the most part. We are not using FP server because our volume of work does not justify the cost. For our more complicated or intensive compositions, would we get faster composition times if we copied the job to the local hard drive, composed, and then copied back to the network server?

Thanks for the info. One more question. We generally compose over our gigabit network (the job files are not on the local machine). This has been working OK for us for the most part. We are not using FP server because our volume of work does not justify the cost. For our more complicated or intensive compositions, would we get faster composition times if we copied the job to the local hard drive, composed, and then copied back to the network server?

You might. I would try it and see. You may also get some benefits from using FP Direct, which is available at a lower price point than FP Server.

Archived