Replace an A with a round A

oleooo

How can I replace an a character with a rounded a character.

I attempted to use Indesigns character styles but it did not work.

the code I tried was <p style="name'>+(Field("name"));

Any help would be helpful.

Thnaks

Ole

Okay, thanks. Copying the text from the PDF and examining it, I see that the "rounded a" in the second PDF is just the regular old lowercase A character (ASCII 97). It's the one in the first PDF that's an "alternative" Unicode character.

So I don't think you need to do anything special at all in FusionPro to get the regular lowercase A as in your second example. Are you getting the first output from FusionPro? If so, please collect up and attach the job.

InDesign allows access to alternate glyphs, for things like "old style" numbers, as well as for alternative representations of certain characters. This isn't part of a character style in InDesign, it's actually a method where you specify a glyph from a font directly, to override the font's primary representation (glyph) of a character.

However, that kind of direct glyph selection is unique to InDesign. In FusionPro, and most other applications, you can only specify a Unicode code point, which maps to a single glyph in the font (via the font's Unicode cmap). In this case, it's simply the Unicode (and ASCII) character 97, which is lower-case A, and FusionPro uses the font's primary glyph for that character.

But I'm not sure how such direct glyph selection would work in a VDP job anyway, since, in InDesign, you have to select a specific glyph directly, for each character, in static text. In your FusionPro VDP job, the text is obviously variable, so there's no way to select the exact text for each record and pick alternate glyphs. (Even if you were using something like XMPie, which is built on top of InDesign's typesetting and rendering engine, I don't think you can select alternate glyphs for variable text.)

If the font offers the alternate glyph from a unique code point, such as in the private use area, then you can call out that code point. But the specific font you're using doesn't seem to make the glyph available that way. So there's really no way to do what you want with this font; you need to either select a different font, or modify the font (actually each OTF or TTF file in the family) to assign a specific Unicode code point for the glyph you need. Or modify the font to replace the glyph mapped to by code point 97 with the one you want.

Edited by Dan Korn
note about XMPie

Dan,

Thanks

For checking this out for me. I was at my wits end trying to figure out how to modify the template. I will see if I can modify the font with permission of course. Your expert knowledge is always impressive.

Thanks again

Ole