Data which type uses glyphs

dkent

I don't understand the question. Every printed character in a font is a glyph, including all the letters in this sentence.

Are you asking how to get accented characters to show up in FusionPro output? Usually, you can just type, or copy-and-paste it into the Text Editor. Depending on the specific glyph and font in question, you may need to uncheck the "Limit processing to Latin-1/Mac Roman text" box on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog.

If you're having a specific problem, please describe it more specifically.

yes each letter is a glyph

I think a better word is diacritical marks on letters

accents, diacritical marks - non-standard characters signs that change the sound of letters and words

Many western languages contain words with letters whose sound is determined by these accents and diacritical marks. The effects are different depending on the language; here are the names and examples of the more common marks and non-standard characters. Usage of these accents and marks is not restricted to the letters shown in the examples.

é - accent acute

è - accent grave

ê - circumflex

ë - umlaut or diaerisis

ç - cedilla

ñ - tilde

ø - streg

ð - eth (capital form Ð)

å - bolle

æ - ligature

œ - ligature

ē - macron

č - háček

ŭ - crescent

the problem I'm getting told about is

here is a list of samples

you are trying to get this

Noël and get Noel

DonViár and get DonViar

Aimée and get Aimee

I see there are many different laws with diacritical marks win to added them

based on a number of different things

D

the problem I'm getting told about is

here is a list of samples

you are trying to get this

Noël and get Noel

DonViár and get DonViar

Aimée and get Aimee

Okay, but I'm still not sure what your question is. In what context are "you" trying to get one thing and getting another instead? Is this a FusionPro issue? Is it a problem with reading data, or with generating output? If so, can you attach a small sample job which demonstrates the problem?

I will look for that

base info

I set a name tag fusion pro job

with

first name

last name

and it be working great

but One person has seen that name tag are dropping the accents marks on letter in the any name that has accents marks

Aimée Dent

show on the name tag like Aimee Dent with no accents mark

I know some fonts can not handle accents marks

D

Okay, I think I understand.

What does the composition log (.msg) file say? (You might need to do a regular composition of a record, not a Preview, then click "View Log".)

Also, what happens if you just try to copy-and-paste one of those accented characters into the Text Editor dialog directly, instead of calling it out from a data field?

You probably just need to use a different font. Or you might need to enable Unicode output by uncheck the "Limit processing to Latin-1/Mac Roman text" box on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog. Like I said earlier....

• 4 years later...

I know I am waaay late to the party, but I just ran across this too.

I did the steps Dan suggested about "you might need to enable Unicode output by uncheck the "Limit processing to Latin-1/Mac Roman text" box on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog. Like I said earlier....". But that did not help.

First I'm on a Mac, and what worked for me, was to open my data file (I use BBEdit), and save it with "Classic Mac (CR) Line breaks" and "Western (Mac OS Roman) Encoding". Once I did that, it worked like a charm. And the encodings were all there.

Thanks for sharing your solutions. I want to take this opportunity to clarify how encodings work in FusionPro VDP.

First, there are multiple data source formats. Excel, DBF, and ODBC data files have their own encodings, which are handled automatically by FusionPro.

For flat-file (delimited) or tagged markup data files, you can specify the encoding of your data file here:

http://forums.pti.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1773&stc=1&d=1515518104

However, if the file has a UTF-8 or UTF-16 byte-order mark, that mark is honored and the file is read in with that encoding, regardless of the setting chosen in that drop-down.

If the file does not have a byte-order mark, then the encoding specified in that drop-down is used.

The "Default" encoding is a special case, where, as the text on the dialog says, it assumes Latin-1 encoding on Windows and Mac Roman encoding on Mac.

However, "Default" is just that, a default, and not the recommended setting.

Your best bet is to use a Unicode data file, either UTF-8, or UTF-16, with a byte-order mark, as Don notes. That removes any ambiguity about encodings.

If you don't have a Unicode file, then you should specify the 8-bit encoding in that drop-down when you define the data source. That is what I would have recommended that you do, Scott, rather than re-saving the data file in a different format. (Your data file was likely in Latin-1 encoding.) Or, if you really needed to re-save the file in a different format, I would have recommended Unicode.

Note that FusionPro is line-ending-agnostic, so you can use either "classic Mac" carriage-return line endings, Unix-style line feeds, or Windows CR-LF combination line endings.

Note also that encodings work basically the same way for text resources and external data files (XDFs). Both the CreateResource and ExternalDataFile functions have optional parameters to specify encodings, though both will also honor byte-order marks if present, so I still recommend using Unicode files with byte-order marks for resources and XDFs.

Now, reading in a file with the correct encoding is only half the battle. You also need to be able to output your text correctly, in a font that supports whatever characters are present. Most fonts have some level of Unicode support, and there are even some "pan-Unicode" fonts (such as Noto or Arial Unicode MS) which support most of the UCS-2/UTF-16 range, but in general, you need a font which supports the encoding of the text you're outputting. So if you are trying to output Asian text, you generally need a font which supports CJK (Chinese/Japanese/Korean) encoding. For most Western text, though, just about any font should support "extended" Latin characters, such as Latin letters with accents or diacritical marks, including those enumerated by dkent earlier in this thread.

Regarding the "Limit processing to Latin-1/Mac Roman text" box on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog, you can generally leave this checked for Western (Latin-based) text, even with accented characters. However, with FusionPro VDP 10, I generally recommended UN-checking that box, as almost every font these days should support Unicode CID-encoding. (And FusionPro's support for CID encoding has improved significantly from the early days of Unicode support back in version 7.)

Finally, and more to the point of this thread suggested by its title, FusionPro VDP 10 adds the ability to call out any glyph in a font by its glyph ID (not just by a Unicode character code), using markup such as <unicode gid=true>****</unicode>, where **** is a four-digit hexadecimal glyph ID. Obviously, glyph IDs are specific to each font. This functionality is similar to the "alternate glyph" feature in InDesign, though by its very nature, this is a more complicated concept in a variable text application like FusionPro than in a static text design tool such as InDesign. There's more discussion about alternate glyphs here:

http://forums.pti.com/showpost.php?p=20755&postcount=3

And in the posts linked to from there.

Let me conclude by saying that, while posting questions and answers here on the forum is always welcome, it's almost impossible to answer a specific question about your specific job or data file encodings or fonts without being able to examine the files. Please feel free to post data files and/or collected jobs here. Please do not post fonts, though. If you need to send a font, or if you can't post your job here to the forum for any reason, you can always contact Support. Also, please look at the composition log (.msg) file.

Hopefully this information is helpful.

DataSourceEncoding.jpg.7f2666fe2c308b6b87f1664733a2bb84.jpg