Fractions

psmosser

I've searched and searched the forum and I can't believe I cannot find a thread on this. Hopefully I'm missing it.

I need to bring text files with a series of measurements into a template based on a field in my data.

For example: Field "Modular" = X then insert "3 5/8 x 2 1/4 x 7 5/8" But, I need those fractions formatted as fractions. In previous software I was able to set up the measurements needed in InDesign and then export InDesign tagged text to bring back in. Of course that's not an option in Fusion Pro. So, right now I have 24 InDesign tagged text files. Can I make another type of text file that I can call in a switch rule that will hold a formatted fraction?

Thanks!

The test file is my data file. The "Modular" file is my current InDesign tagged text file. I know that I can't use that. What I need to do is bring in a formatted string of text including fractions. The attached PDF shows the appearance that I need.

Thank you. Hopefully it makes sense then.

Essentially there are a series of fields in the data that are the names of different sizes. If these fields contain an "x" in the data then I need to return the text string representing the size.

Modular.txt

TEST82012.txt

Example.pdf

• 6 months later...

This is what I've come up with so far.

if ((Field("Modular") != "") || (Field("SO Modular") != ""))
{
  return "3<superscript>5</superscript>/<subscript>8</subscript>" x 2<superscript>1</superscript>/<subscript>4</subscript>" x 11<superscript>5</superscript>/<subscript>8</subscript>""
}

return "";

So that roughly gives me one of the 25 sizes that I need. I'm not sure how to adjust the super and subscript amounts to make this look cleaner.

The next step will be to rewrite this with additional formatting to change the color if the Field "SO Modular" is not empty. One thing at a time though...

If you go to the Global Settings, there are values for the ratio (sizes) and offset (baseline shift) for superscript and subscript characters.

To get to Global Settings, open the text editor, click on paragraph, click on Global Settings...

If you go to the Global Settings, there are values for the ratio (sizes) and offset (baseline shift) for superscript and subscript characters.

To get to Global Settings, open the text editor, click on paragraph, click on Global Settings...

You can also set the offsets and ratios on a per-paragraph basis with a tag like so:

<p br=false superratio=50 superoffset=20><superscript>some text</superscript>

Please refer to the FusionPro Tags Reference Guide for more information.

Thanks. I did actually find those Friday and get what I needed done. Thanks!

You can also set the offsets and ratios on a per-paragraph basis with a tag like so:

<p br=false superratio=50 superoffset=20><superscript>some text</superscript>

Please refer to the FusionPro Tags Reference Guide for more information.

Dan,

Thanks for that. I may took a look at that also as it would give me the flexibility to adjust as needed.