Alter output when text exceeds frame?

esmith

We have a custom portal that feeds a FP template raw text for formatting. There is a finite amount of space for the text in a frame and we are trying to come up with a way to alert the user that they have entered more text than the template can handle.

One thought is to add a frame or fill color to the frame when text overflow is present, but I don't know that FP can do anything AFTER overflow is recognized? A colleague suggested using the TextMeasure function to pre-determine overflow, but I'm not sure if that would work given that I am also altering font size and weight with tags programmatically.

Can anyone recommend a way to visually alert the user of a problem by altering the preview file from FP? If not, is there a way to pass composition errors to a 3rd party application?

We have a custom portal that feeds a FP template raw text for formatting. There is a finite amount of space for the text in a frame and we are trying to come up with a way to alert the user that they have entered more text than the template can handle.

One thought is to add a frame or fill color to the frame when text overflow is present, but I don't know that FP can do anything AFTER overflow is recognized? A colleague suggested using the TextMeasure function to pre-determine overflow, but I'm not sure if that would work given that I am also altering font size and weight with tags programmatically.

Can anyone recommend a way to visually alert the user of a problem by altering the preview file from FP?

Sure, just do something like this in OnCopyfit:

if (!Copyfit(new MagnifyAttributes("text", 25, 400, 6, 72)))
{
   FusionPro.Composition.CurrentFlow.content = '<span color="Red">' + 
       FusionPro.Composition.CurrentFlow.content + '</span>';
}

Although you'll always get the red line at the bottom of the frame by default if the text doesn't fit.

Archived