Question About Adding Template Background Lines

Hello- I've been using fusion / imposer for a bit now, but I'm still pretty green when it comes to javascript - The issue I'm having relates to adding centered scoring lines to artwork as it's imposed.

We do a lot of staggered bifolds that all get scored in the same center line, and I've been asked to find a solution that will add a line where the paper needs to be scored by bindery, however, since there is no option for that in imposer, I tried to create a template page with the center line and use it as a template with an impositionsheetbackground rule. However, this lays the line over the artwork, when it needs to be behind it.

Is there any way to add a line behind the body artwork for scoring within imposer or through some javascript magic?

I've attached a typical file that we would need to use this for, if anyone's curious about what I'm working with

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

2_who_relies_08-22-13.pdf

I've attached a typical file that we would need to use this for, if anyone's curious about what I'm working with

That attachment is fine, but what might be somewhat more illuminating would be a file (or a picture) showing you want the imposed output sheet(s) to look like.

You could try using a Template Page and setting as the background of the imposed sheet as mentioned here.

I've looked at that thread a few times, however I guess I assumed that by using the rule "impositionsheetbackground" that I was creating a background for the imposition sheet and the artwork would lay on top of it. Is there some other element to this process that changes the foreground / background order of the template page? This thread itself does little in the way of explanation.

That attachment is fine, but what might be somewhat more illuminating would be a file (or a picture) showing you want the imposed output sheet(s) to look like.

No problem, I've attached the current output file as they currently are with no score line, as well as my best attempt to get one on there, and a file showing the ideal solution - which is essentially just a vertical line running the entire sheet behind the artwork. This way it will work with all the artwork height variations we come across. Does this make sense?

Stagger 2 AS IT IS NOW.pdf

Stagger 2 AS BEST AS I CAN FIGURE OUT.pdf

Stagger 2 IDEAL SOLUTION.pdf

The design intent of the "imposition sheet background" feature was to allow extra content on the imposed sheet, outside of the area where the actual pages are set, such as barcodes and other extra information useful in post-press workflows. It was never intended that the background sheet content would overlap the imposed pages. So this scenario was never taken into account, and no effort was made to ensure that the "background" sheet content was actually at a lower layer "behind" the pages, and in fact, it actually appears at a higher layer.

Why don't you just put a little portion of the scoring line at the top of the sheet, and another little portion at the bottom of the sheet, and not actually have the line go all the way down across the imposed pages? That's how crop marks are usually drawn.