Text wrap on an angle?

-Lisa-

FusionPro currently does runaround only for orthogonal (unrotated or rotated at 90, 180, or 270 degrees) frames. However, there are several tricks you can do to get around this.

If you want to run around a rotated frame, one way to work around this is to create an empty "dummy" frame for text to run around instead.

If both the frame you're running around, and the frame containing the text, are rotated, a workaround is to can put them unrotated into a Repeatable Component, using a Template page, and then call that out the Repeatable Component in a text frame which is rotated.

You can also set up a series of connected frames to emulate a custom runaround, by flowing from one frame to another.

You might also be able to accomplish what you need with an inline graphic, or possibly a table.

I might be able to offer more specific suggestions particular to your job if you post a picture of what you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks Dan! Glad to know there will be a way to achieve this.

Attached is a sample of what we're trying to do here.

I have to apologize. I tried to do just what I explained in a sample job, with a template page called out in a rotated frame, but it didn't work. We'll have to take a look at what we can do to fix this. Sorry about that.

Thanks Dan.

In the meantime, something like this wouldn't be possible with JavaScript, would it? Perhaps by setting the first two paragraphs to a shorter line width than the others?

I'm still slowwwwwly learning JavaScript so this wouldn't be something I'd want to tackle on my own but it was a thought I had.

I also thought about linking two text boxes together and having the overflow text that doesn't fit in the shorter text box to overflow to the larger one at the bottom...but I don't think that's going to work since it's not a separate page I'm overflowing to.

This whole design will fail if I can't figure out a workaround and I can't let that happen. :(

In the meantime, something like this wouldn't be possible with JavaScript, would it? Perhaps by setting the first two paragraphs to a shorter line width than the others?

I'm still slowwwwwly learning JavaScript so this wouldn't be something I'd want to tackle on my own but it was a thought I had.

You might be able to do something with text measurement, but that would be tricky. Maybe as a last resort.

I also thought about linking two text boxes together and having the overflow text that doesn't fit in the shorter text box to overflow to the larger one at the bottom...but I don't think that's going to work since it's not a separate page I'm overflowing to.

I'm not sure why you think that won't work. You can connect any two Body page frames in the template together with the "Connect Text Frames" tool (that looks like a few links of a chain). They can be on the same page or on different (Body) pages.

If you want to overflow to a whole new page, where multiple Overflow pages are added as needed, you can do that in the Overflow Options dialog, but that's different than simply connecting two Body Page frames together in a text flow.

So yes, you can connect two rotated text frames together, and align them to emulate a runaround. It might take some trial-and-error to get things lined up right, but it is possible.

This whole design will fail if I can't figure out a workaround and I can't let that happen. :(

I'm sure we can figure something out.

Thanks Dan! I guess I was under the (wrong) impression that you could only overflow to a new body page. I just tested this and see that I'm wrong so this could potentially work.

My main concern now is getting the spacing between paragraphs correct. Since there's a possibility for the overflow to happen at any point (either mid-sentence or at the start of a new paragraph), I may need for the two text boxes to slightly overlap each other. From what I gather this isn't ideal when linking two text boxes...