Tic-tac-toe x3

ok .. I have at least one project that has me stumped... I dont even know if this is possible with FP.

ok.. here we go...

I have a customer who wants to do scratch offs - specifically 3 tic-tac-toe games on one ticket using the numbers 1-5 and 5 "symbols". Only one of the games can be a winner. On top of that they want a specific amount of winners for each prize.

WHERE DO I START???

How do I configure the random number generator (I can probably figure out one.. but not how to control all 3)? Or is it better done in an array?

How can I control the number of winners on the card?

How am i going to incorporate the "symbols"?

How can I control the number of winners for each prize?

Prize Breakdowns: (ALL TICKETS HAVE ONE WINNING BOARD AND TWO LOSING BOARDS)

1,500 = 1 TOPS pt.

1,000 = 2 TOPS pts.

1,000 = 3 TOPS pts.

500 = 4 TOPS pts.

500 = 5 TOPS pts.

100 = Lunch w/ the CEO

100 = Movie Tickets

100 = Bowling

100 = Chaney Gear

100 = Ball Game

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!!

thanks

ScratchOff.pdf

At first glance, I think the direction I would go would be to create a data file in Excel. If you try to do it with on the fly in FusionPro, it might be difficult to verify that you have the correct number of each prize and if you do random numbers for the losers, you might create a winner inadvertently.

I think I would create like five 3x3 boards for each prize in Indesign and save each as an .eps file (you would have Movie1.eps,Movie2.eps, etc. 1Tops1.eps,1Tops2.eps etc.) to create the illusion of randomness.

My Excel might look like...

Ticket1,Ticket2,Ticket3

Movie,Loser,Loser //Movie appears 100 times in different columns

Loser,Movie,Loser

Loser,Loser,Movie

1Tops,Loser,Loser //1Tops appears 1,500 times in different columns

Loser,1Tops,Loser

......... ........ ........ etc.

5000 Total Rows

Then mix up the order of the records in Excel

I made sure the prize appears in all columns to create more randomness. Then the last step, in FusionPro, take the field (Movie, 1Tops, Loser, etc.) and generate a random number 1-5 and append it to the field (Movie2, 1Tops4, Loser1, etc.) and pull up that image resource.

I'm sure there are many ways to do this, but when prizes (i.e. MONEY) is involved, I always use a method where I know EXACTLY what the output is going to be.

Archived