Sequential Numbering nightmare

Ok. I appreciate you guys trying to help me, but I am getting really SUPER frustrated here. I don't know how much clearer I can explain this. I have posted detailed information and screenshots. I feel like they're not getting looked at, or you'd "get it." I think I have to ask that you to to re-review carefully the screenshots to see the subtle differences and re-read my posts so that I can limit my frustration and get the help I need.

Last try - then I just do it the way I know it will work, and spend 5 days on this.

Again, as I clearly stated before, there are 456 "originals." Each original has a date, a time, a car assignment and an image. The dates and times are unique to each of the 456 lots. They are different colors and have drop shadows that also are different colors. Using a .csv to generate the dates and times for each ticket is really not an option, because you would have to set it up 456 times to make each one the correct color - leaving it on the "master" and not imprinting it as a variable is best.

There is an image on each ticket. There are 24 different images. Because of the reason stated above it is best to NOT place the image as variable.

This leaves me with 456 originals. Each of these originals will get a different quantity. Forget about the different backs - I can take care of that. For example tickets 1-38 get 20 each numbered sequentially BUT NOT IN ORDER. Ticket 1 would be numbered 1-20, but ticket 2 would get numbered 81-100, ticket 3 would get 161-180...

Essentially the file is set up so that I get all the dates for car 1L at 3:30, then I get all the dates for car 1P at 3:30, then car 2, 3, 4, and 5 at 3:30. Then I get all the dates for car 1L at 5:00, then 1P, 2, 3, 4, and 5 at 5:00... and so on. The numbers must go in order for each date, so on the first day at 3:30 it goes 1-296, at 5:00 it will number from 297-592, at 6:30 it will number from 593-888 and at 8:00 from 889-1184. There are 19 days in all, for a total of 22,496 total tickets.

I've attached a file that I printout and mark off so I know which ones I've done, and that the bindery uses when they cut the tickets out to keep track and make sure they have them all. I've also attached screen shots from the job done two years ago (numbered differently, but shows the difference between the tickets).

What I wanted/have been trying to do is set the variable field in ID, export to pdf. Open FP, add the sequential numbering instructions, cut and paste 456 times, and the separate the document into individual pdfs. Open each of those 456 pdfs, put in the starting number and impose.

The problem is this year, as in years past, is that while the 456 page pdf has the sequential numbering rule in the variable field, when separated, it LOSES the rule, and only retains a blank variable field. I then have to re-add the sequential numbering rule. I can't cut and paste because Acrobat crashes after each file, so I can only work on one at a time, quit, restart and do the next one. This has been true every year I have worked on this job.

New Intel Mac this year, but same results. Using Acro 9, FP 6.2P1a on 10.6.8 (2 x 2.26 Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 12 GB RAM).

Numbering.xls.zip

1---1126-1l-330.png.zip

2---1126-1l-500.png.zip

3---1126-1l-630.png.zip

4---1126-1l-800.png.zip

I guess what we (or me I guess) are trying to figure out is why can't you create the 456 unique tickets with all graphics and text (Dates and Times) out of InDesign and not assign the text box in InDesign. With the full 456 unique fronts as single PDF's. Then in Fusion Pro put the fronts together with the appropriate back and the corresponding ticket range. So you would have a two blank page Fusion Pro template. Use the createResource rule to a graphic box for the front and another for the back and then a text box with the ticket number. Again this is driven by a csv file, the only text coming from the csv would be the ticket number.

I will excuse myself from the conversation now if I still don't get it, but maybe you should try Customer Support directly, they are very helpful as is this forum.

Regardless of whether the variable text originates in ID or not, did you not read the last part?

The problem is this year, as in years past, is that while the 456 page pdf has the sequential numbering rule in the variable field, when separated, it LOSES the rule, and only retains a blank variable field. I then have to re-add the sequential numbering rule. I can't cut and paste because Acrobat crashes after each file, so I can only work on one at a time, quit, restart and do the next one. This has been true every year I have worked on this job.

New Intel Mac this year, but same results. Using Acro 9, FP 6.2P1a on 10.6.8 (2 x 2.26 Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 12 GB RAM).

Basically, I either have to open and close Acro 456 times and reprogram the sequential numbering rule, so how do I fix this issue, or how do I use the 456 page pdf so that I can separate the tickets so they impose properly?

OK... Now I have an even bigger problem. The first 6 imposed without issue - I set those up last night. I started working on the next set this morning, and in addition to having to reprogram the sequential numbering rule, I now get this error...

Composing record #1, input record 1

Sheet #1, record #1

Graphic is not found or is not processsed properly: /Volumes/MACVOL-1/Active jobs/13563_CSRM/FusionPro/separated tickets/1_El Dorado Parlor/500/13563_1123 500 1P.pdf.

Check for file existence and that it is of the proper format.

x every record

the file imposes the numbers, but not the art. I have quit and restarted numerous times, but it won't do it.

Ok. I appreciate you guys trying to help me, but I am getting really SUPER frustrated here. I don't know how much clearer I can explain this. I have posted detailed information and screenshots. I feel like they're not getting looked at, or you'd "get it." I think I have to ask that you to to re-review carefully the screenshots to see the subtle differences and re-read my posts so that I can limit my frustration and get the help I need.

I'm sorry that you're frustrated. Yes, you have posted multiple screenshots of your output and lots of explanation. However, what I need in order to understand exactly what you're doing, and then to be able to help, is the FusionPro PDF template. Without that, it's nearly impossible for me, or anyone else, to reverse engineer what roles all of the files involved are playing in the composition. The original InDesign document would be helpful as well. If you're having imposition issues, I need the FPI file.

There should be absolutely no reason to have to open up 456 files to do what you need. But I can't tell you exactly what to do just by seeing the output, regardless of how much explanatory prose you provide. I need all of the files involved to come up with a solution. (Although, as I said, I don't necessarily need all 456 files, just enough of them to see the pattern.)

• 2 weeks later...

OK. The solution WAS to make a one-up layout, and take the time to program 24 .csvs (one for each train car (6) and times (4)) with the numbering pattern and variable day of the week, variable date format and variable time, as well as having 24 variable images for the background. I stripped and backed up separately, but taking the time to create variables for the above information looks to be worth it.

This required specific variable programming to adjust tracking, horizontal scale and color of text and drop shadow, but in the end, the time spent learning this was all worth it. It took me from 5 days of set up in the past to 90 minutes, once the programming for the variable data was complete (this took about 2 days of emails back and forth to Printable and a lot of previewing, fixing, previewing, fixing, etc.).

I just want to take the time to thank the Printable employees who assisted directly, specifically Lauren and Alex, for dealing with my extreme stress and having the patience to hold my hand through this process.