Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > FusionPro® Links

Notices

Old February 16th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Regular Contributor

Default Creating a generic user in an existing campaign?

Is there any way to create a "generic" user and PURL for customers to visit and input their own information in the form, for demonstration purposes? I have a test campaign setup and running just fine, but all the PURLs are for specific individuals. I tried creating a dummy list (sort of like what's suggested in this thread: http://forums.printable.com/showthread.php?t=1000) that just consisted of FirstName (Test) and LastName (User) headings. I kept the remaining headings (MailingAddress, Phone, etc.), but I left them blank. *** NOTE - After this attempt failed, I went back and did the same thing, but deleted all the remaining headings, so only FirstName and LastName were on the list *** I then uploaded the list, generated a PURL and made the site active. When I visited the site, the FirstName and LastName form fields were pre-filled (with "Test" and "User, respectively), but the rest were blank, as is expected. So I entered in generic info for all the fields and hit submit, but the Form Response email came up with blank fields, except for the FirstName and LastName fields. This happened regardless of the info I put in, if I deleted the pre-filled info, or if I left the form completely blank all together.

It seems that regardless of what I type in the forms, the response form email will always return the info that's mapped from the campaign list(s). So in this case, only FirstName (Test) and LastName (User) were specified on the dummy list, and these were the only values returned. On the other lists I have associated with the campaign, customer info is specified, and regardless of whether they leave the info as is, or edit it (i.e. the mailing address we have on the list is outdated), the response form email always returns the date supplied on the list. Is there any way around this?
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: Creating a generic user in an existing campaign?

Hello Stack,

It sounds like you are on the right path here with just a couple items that need to be cleared up.

For starters, Campaign Activity Notification emails can contain list data and/or form response data.

When you are specifying the body content for the email notification, you have the ability to put in LIST fields into that email body (called portal columns in the system) by putting the list field name in the email body itself. For example:

"A user by the name of %%FirstName%% %%LastName%% just visited their Microsite"

The list field data that appears in the email is from the list data that was uploaded into the system - not any data that a user submits on the Microsite via form submit.

Now to include the FORM response data that the user submitted on a Microsite form, there's a checkbox below the Body Text Box to allow you to specify if Form data should be included in the email notification. Note that if the notification is to be sent for Link responses, the email will not contain any form data.

To help illustrate, please see this screenshot of a Notification configured to include both LIST field data and FORM response data in a single email:

Old February 16th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Regular Contributor

Mark, thanks again for yet another quick reply!

In looking at your screen shot, I believe I actually already had everything set as you specified. When I test any of the PURLs, the response email does show the LIST data, as you specify. And I do get the FORM data at the bottom of the email, however, the form data just includes data generated from 3 questions with radio buttons for answer selections. It doesn't include any of the data from the input fields. I've attached a series of screenshots, they should better illustrate what I'm trying to describe...

01_EmailSetup - This shows the response email as I have it configured, which I believe is almost identical to your screen shot.

02_PURL_original - When I view one of the PURLs from my lists, this is the page that contains the form. This is how the page displays BEFORE I check any of the radio buttons or substitute form info. Sidenote, I'm not sure why MailingAddress is blank, as this field has been correctly mapped. I can figure this out later though

03_PURL_FilledIn - This shows the same PURL and form as above, AFTER I've checked the radio buttons and substituted form info.

04_ResponseEmail - This is the form response email that is sent. As you can see, the form response from the 3 questions is displayed, but none of the input data fields are.

Did I overlook something?

I did just notice one thing which may be important, I'm not sure... But in the last screenshot -- 05_Inputs -- it appears that the campaign only recognizes the 3 questions as form inputs; should the 10 form fields also be showing up here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01_EmailSetup.jpg (51.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 02_PURL_original.jpg (43.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 03_PURL_FilledIn.jpg (43.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 04_ResponseEmail.jpg (51.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 05_Inputs.jpg (64.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Stack; February 16th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Added an additional screenshot.
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Stack,

I took a closer look at your Microsite as it looks like Links isn't detecting the text input boxes on your survey page.

I found 3 issues with your text input controls. So you have this:

<input size="27" name="FirstName" value="&lt;[FirstName]&gt;">

The 3 issues are:
1) You don't have a "type" attribute (this is mandatory)
2) You are not closing off the input tag with a close tag (this isn't necessary but good practice to make it a valid XML tag)
3) Your value attribute is using entities instead of < and > (this explains why the values are not populating).

Changing this up, you get this:

<input type="text" size="27" name="FirstName" value="<[FirstName]>"/>

Also, we did add an enhancement so variables used in Microsites can have the %%variableName%% notation instead of the <[FirstName]> notation. You can keep the legacy notation if you would like but also feel free to use the new (easier to explain, remember, and type!) notation with the double-percents.

hth
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Regular Contributor

Mark, that fixed it! I had a sneaking suspicion that the problem might lie in the form coding. We have yet to purchase Dreamweaver, so I'm forced to use free WYSIWYG editors (Nvu, Kompozer) that have sketchy-at-best form tools. I guess it's good to do some hand coding every once and a while too

Thanks again for your help!
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Great to hear, Stack. Good luck with the Campaign!