Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > FusionPro® Links

Notices

Old January 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Regular Contributor

Default DNS setup and PURL creation

Hello folks,

I'm a relatively new user to FP Links, so I'm hoping this is just something obvious that I'm overlooking... I've got a couple test sites I'm playing around with, and I'm at the point of setting DNS info and generating PURLs. My company is supposed to be setting up a host for us to use, but in the meantime I'm using my own personal web host for testing purposes.

When I log in to the Cpanel for my host, I'm able to setup a sub-domain and have it forward to fplinks.printable.com without problems (http://formtest.chrisnmolly.com). However, when I go to generate the PURLs and test any of them, I receive an error (http://formtest.chrisnmolly.com/JaneDoe), which I've attached a screenshot of.

I'm not sure, but I believe in looking at the error that it's happening on my web host's end? Anybody know how to correct this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot.jpg (59.0 KB, 16 views)
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: DNS setup and PURL creation

Hi Stack,

Took a quick look and it doesn't appear that traffic to http://formtest.chrisnmolly.com is being redirected to fplinks.printable.com. There's 2 likely reasons why this might be:

1) You correctly set the "formtest" CNAME in the chrisnmolly.com domain to point to fplinks.printable.com, but that DNS information hasn't propogated to the Internet yet. This process can be very quick or it can take up to 48 hours depending on your DNS provider. There's nothing that can be done about this to speed it up as it just how the internet works. Given some time, the internet DNS records will be updated and traffic to formtest.chrisnmolly.com will be directed to fplinks.printable.com.

2) There was an issue with your setup of the "formtest" CNAME to point to the fplinks.printable.com server. You likely did set it up correctly but you might want to double-check it in your DNS admin tool to make sure. I also recommend reviewing the FusionPro Links DNS Configuration Guide if you haven't already. This PDF guide is available in the "Help" system in the FusionPro Links product (link in upper-right of the UI) in the "Campaigns" -> "Campaign Screen" -> "Campaign Section" area.

Now a quick and easy way to determine if traffic to formtest.chrisnmolly.com is going to FusionPro Links is to ping formtest.chrisnmolly.com and see the IP address it resolves to. I run the ping command in DOS but you can also use an online service such as the one at: http://network-tools.com/

The ping test will go and determine the current IP address that is associated with the domain name you enter. What you should see if the domain is pointing to fplinks.printable.com is the IP address of the FusionPro Links system which is:

However, when I run a ping on
formtest.chrisnmolly.com, I am seeing the IP address of:

This looks to be
a hosting company that is not related to Printable (perhaps where you have your primary website hosted?). Now the ping is a good test to run if you are waiting for the net to propogate your DNS information for formtest.chrisnmolly.com. As soon as it comes back with the FP Links IP address of 64.154.89.60, you should be good to go!

hth.
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Regular Contributor

Mark, thanks for the quick reply!

I've downloaded, printed and reviewed the DNS Configuration Guide multiple times, and I believe I'm doing everything you and the guide specify. And when I go to http://formtest.chrisnmolly.com, it DOES [at least for me] forward to http://fplinks.printable.com. The attached screen shot shows where I have the redirect set. I'm not using Godaddy, so the terminology and processes look to be a bit different, but setting sub-domains and redirects is still a very simple process in cPanel.

I ran the ping test on the link you provided, and it too showed me the incorrect IP address. I'm admittedly a bit green with interpreting that sort of info, but I guess like you said, it should be displaying a FP Links system IP. I don't understand then why the URL is forwarding correctly, but the IP isn't. I guess there's a bunch of background stuff still going on, and I probably need to be patient .

I created the sub-domain and redirect yesterday afternoon, and generated the PURLs shortly thereafter. The redirect worked immediately [again, for me at least], but I guess I'll just have to wait another day or two for the PURLs to take effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cPanel_screenshot.jpg (76.1 KB, 8 views)
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Stack,

Hmmm.... I do see what you are talking about (http://formtest.chrisnmolly.com goes to the FP Links server login screen but the PURLs don't resolve).

I took a closer look and did some Googling on this.

For starters, the error message that's displayed in the browser when you go to one of your PURLs shows an Apache server error. This was the first clue to me as we don't have Links on an Apache web server (it's a Microsoft IIS server). So it's some other web server somewhere that's being brought up for me when the PURL is being entered into the browser.

So here's what my next thought is on this. The redirect that you have setup in your DNS tool isn't a true CNAME record as is needed for FusionPro Links. This "redirect" seems like it might be a different way to direct traffic to a different web address that is outside of using a CNAME.

What I would do is contact your hosting provider and ask them specifically how you create a CNAME for your parent domain that points to our servers. From other users on the web that use cPanel, I see that not all accounts allow users to create CNAMEs (shared accounts do not allow users the ability to do this but reseller accounts do, from what I read).

I would tell them something very close to the following:

"I need a CNAME record created for my domain. I need this cname to direct traffic that comes in from formtest.chrisnmolly.com to go to fplinks.printable.com. Can I do this myself, or does your support team need to do this for me?"

If they DO come back and say that they made the CNAME for you, I would then think you should remove that "redirect" you have setup just to make sure there's no conflict.

And make sure the ping test resolves to the Links IP address for our servers as a final verification that all is good.
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Regular Contributor

Wow, okay, I didn't realize CNAME was an actual setting, I thought it was just a fancy nickname for a redirect

Rather than getting my own web host involved, I'll just wait to tackle this after my company actually sets up our hosting.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds good.

And if you're curious, take a look at some additional info on CNAME records:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNAME_record

Tags
dns, forward, purls, sub-domain