Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Support > Issues, Questions, Etc.

Notices

Old October 4th, 2018, 07:02 AM
Junior Community Member

Question Barcode128 rule produces random wrong codes?

I have a strange problem. A job without an inputfile. When I am make a rule for creating barcodes with a sequential number + a fixed number (401) together the endresult sometimes creates a Barcode without the control digit and the end of barcode character.
Therefore some Barcodes are suddenly smaller then the ones created the right way.

The rule I use is:

return Make128BBarcode(Rule("Nummering Barcodes Rule")+ "401")

and the Nummering Barcode ruls is the xml based sequential numbering rule with a starting number 30060001 with 8 characters selected.

When I change the selected font in the text-areabox from IDAutomationC128L to Helvetica Neue I can read the following created codes:

╠30060000401╚╬ (first record)
╠30060001401 (second, wrong)
╠30060002401.╬ (right)
╠300600034016╬
╠300600044011╬
╠30060005401F╬
╠30060006401N╬
" " " etc
Then again at the 23th record:
╠30060023401 (wrong)

What am I doing wrong here?
Any help would be appreciated.
I currently use FusionPro 10.1.8 on a Mac with 10.12.6

Greetings from the Netherlands
Old October 4th, 2018, 12:05 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Default Re: Barcode128 rule produces random wrong codes?

Can you attach a minimal sample job which reproduces what you're seeing?
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old October 5th, 2018, 12:16 AM
Junior Community Member

Hi Dan;
I collected the pdf etc as zipfile.
I also noticed the error message which is also included.
As You should see in the final output; some Barcodes are randomly smaller then others (not the ones without the extra 3 digits at the end)
Hope You can find the problem here.
Greetings from the Netherlands
Attached Files
File Type: zip LAB West - 18 labels Test.zip (6.02 MB, 8 views)
Old October 5th, 2018, 12:20 AM
Junior Community Member

BarCodeBloks-test.cfg file:

Job started 07:59:34 - 1538719174.
Creator: FusionPro(R) VDP Creator 10.1.8
Computer Name:
Current working folder: /Applications/PTI/FusionPro
Temporary files folder: /var/folders/sl/j0mzn4wn705chv47_vpbvxjm0000gp/T/
Template File: /Users/test/Desktop/TestfilesBarcode128problem/LAB West - 18 labels Test.dif
Input File: None
Job Config File: /Users/test/Desktop/TestfilesBarcode128problem/BarCodeBloks-test.cfg
Composing record #1, input record 1
Composing record #2, input record 2
Incomplete entity definition ╬
Malformed Entity &╬ in record 2
Composing record #3, input record 3
Composing record #4, input record 4
Composing record #5, input record 5
Composing record #6, input record 6
Composing record #7, input record 7
Composing record #8, input record 8
Composing record #9, input record 9
Composing record #10, input record 10
Composing record #11, input record 11
Composing record #12, input record 12
Composing record #13, input record 13
Composing record #14, input record 14
Composing record #15, input record 15
Composing record #16, input record 16
Composing record #17, input record 17
Composing record #18, input record 18
Composing record #19, input record 19
Composing record #20, input record 20
Malformed Entity &╬ in record 20
Composing record #21, input record 21
Composing record #22, input record 22
Composing record #23, input record 23
Composing record #24, input record 24
Composing record #25, input record 25
Job ended 07:59:35 - 1538719175.
Total Job Time: 1s
Old October 5th, 2018, 04:46 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

You need to UN-check the "Treat returned strings as tagged text" box in all of your rules.

These messages in the log are a big hint as to what the problem is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan55 View Post
The problem is that, the encoded data for the barcode sometimes legitimately includes an ampersand (&). But if you tell FusionPro to treat that data as tagged markup, then it handles the ampersand as a special character denoting the start of an entity, such as  . But you don't want that special handling of tagged markup; you want to literally put down an ampersand, in the barcode font.

Once you un-check that box in all of your rules, you'll get the correct output, with the barcode font. If you change the barcode font to a regular text font, you will see the ampersands in the output.

The alternative to un-checking the box would be to call the TaggedTextFromRaw function on the encoded data, something like this:
Code:
return TaggedTextFromRaw(Make128BBarcode(Rule("Nummering Barcodes Rule")+ "401"));
Then you could leave that box checked, because you would be returning tagged markup. However, there's no need to do that, when all you need to do instead is just uncheck the box.

The only reason you might want to call TaggedTextFromRaw and leave the box checked would be if you were also including the tagging to call out the barcode font in the rule, like so:
Code:
return '<f name="IDAutomationC128L">' + TaggedTextFromRaw(Make128BBarcode(Rule("Nummering Barcodes Rule")+ "401"));
Then you wouldn't need to use the barcode font in the Text Editor.

But for what you have now, the easy fix is just to un-check that box in every rule.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old October 8th, 2018, 03:29 AM
Junior Community Member

Red face Re: Barcode128 rule produces random wrong codes?

Hi Dan;

Thanks for Your support with this problem.

I should have seen this checkbox myself; it must have been there in my first rule by mistake and then I copied it for the other rules. A good lesson for me: check ALL places where anything can be filled in... I totally overlooked this one.

Tags
barcode128, rule, sequential numbering