Is it possible to create a csv or txt output

S_Black

I have a rule that creates a checkdigit. It's lengthy and took a bit of programming. I unfortunately need that checkdigit in a data file so that the data can be used on an inkjet machine that doesn't handle javascript programming. I could, but I don't want to recreate the programming in Excel.

Is there a way in javascript to output a rule's value (the checkdigit) to a text file? If so, all I would need to do is compose the file and merge the newly created checkdigit file into the original input.

I'm not sure what you mean by "merge the newly created checkdigit file into the original input."

But to your question, "Is there a way in javascript to output a rule's value (the checkdigit) to a text file?" Yes. You can open up an ExternalDataFileEx (XDF), and call SetFieldValue and Save on it.

Also, you can certainly run JavaScript outside the context of a FusionPro rule. There are a multitude of JavaScript engines out there. Once you're getting into a workflow with multiple steps like this, you might want to look into FP Server. Then you could have your own custom application do whatever calculations it needs to set up the data for the FusionPro job, then invoke FusionPro to do the composition.