Variable records on same layout.

Fletch

I need to be able to print an 8.5x11 sheet with 16 barcodes placed from top to bottom. Each barcode represents 1 variable field from my data file. Is it possible to have the next record be on the same sheet, and then once I have 16 of them (the sheet will be full then) create a New sheet and do another 16, and so on and so on.

I'm confused. Are you suggesting that each record has 16 unique barcode fields, or that each record has one barcode and you want 16 records per sheet?

If you have one barcode per record, I would just create a template for the single barcode and a 16-up layout to place 16 barcodes on one sheet. If you want the barcodes in sequence on a page (i.e. 1-16 on page 1, 17-32 on page 2) don't use stacking in FPImposer.

This part is what I meant,

"each record has one barcode and you want 16 records per sheet"

I can get FP to place 16 without stacking... the problem is I have one static image I need to appear once on each 8.5x11.

So, 16 variable records on 1 - 8.5x11 page, with 1 static image on each 8.5x11 page.

Let's say my barcode is 1 x .75 in size, when I tell FP Imposer to lay them up on a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, that sheet of paper is blank. I need 1 image on each 8.5 x 11. Mmmm.....should I do it twice? Impose the codes, then run the sheets with an image?

Ah, you left out some important information in your OP. ;)

Off the top of my head, I would think you would either (a) run your static image first to produce "shells" and then run your 1-up imposition on the shells (as you suggested), or (b) edit your data file to merge 16 records into one and then create a letter-sized FP template.

If the barcodes are in a continuous, sequential order you could place one barcode per the record's field and then generate new numbers for the other 15 barcodes via rules which alter the first code. You would then output every 16th record beginning with record one. :)

I know nobody likes to run a job twice, but if you do the single record on a 16 up imposition, then take the output file into FP and place your single variable per sheet on an 8.5 x 11 - 1 up imposition, you could get by without having to produce hard copy shells. Then everything is run on a press only once.

Probably not a great solution, but it would cut down on press time.

If the 1 up image is a static image that would never change, I would use Eric's option to run shells if this is a job that would warrant the added press time.

Ah, you left out some important information in your OP. ;)

Off the top of my head, I would think you would either (a) run your static image first to produce "shells" and then run your 1-up imposition on the shells (as you suggested), or (b) edit your data file to merge 16 records into one and then create a letter-sized FP template.

If the barcodes are in a continuous, sequential order you could place one barcode per the record's field and then generate new numbers for the other 15 barcodes via rules which alter the first code. You would then output every 16th record beginning with record one. :)

If your data is not a couple of million records, I would loop through the database and add a field that pulls in a graphic resource on every 17th record.. Place a "null" graphic in the balance and then impose away..

FWIW

Archived