Need Help with Leading Rule

tonyb

I made a change fontsize rule to have a block of text change sizes depending on a dropdown choice. I am also trying to have it affect the leading between lines of text. I know that there is an absolute leading feature, but am looking to assign a leading based on the text size. So for example here is my current rule:

if (Field("FontSize") == "Large")

return "<z newsize=120>";

if (Field("FontSize") == "Regular")

return "<z newsize=72>";

I want something that would assign a leading of 150 to the 120 font size, 100 to the 72 font size, etc.

Any ideas?

I don't think you need a rule to change the leading. The default mode for leading is "Auto-leading," where the leading changes automatically based on the point size; specifically, the leading will be 120 percent of (1.2 times) the point size (height) of the largest text on each line.

For example:

return "<z newsize=12>line 1, 12 points<br>" +
"<z newsize=10>line 2, 10 points<br>" +
"<z newsize=36>line 3, 36 points<br>" +
"<z newsize=72>line 4, 72 points<br>";

If you leave the leading where you're using this rule set to "Auto-leading", you'll see that it's adjusted automatically to fit the text on each line.

How is that result different than what you want?

I am trying to space the lines out more than the default spacing, this is for a poster and instead of default spacing I want it spaced to like 1.5 spacing instead of just default single spacing. Any ideas welcome.

I am trying to space the lines out more than the default spacing, this is for a poster and instead of default spacing I want it spaced to like 1.5 spacing instead of just default single spacing. Any ideas welcome.

Ah, I see. Magnify tag to the rescue!

return "<magnify type=leading factor=150>" +
   "<z newsize=12>line 1, 12 points<br>" +
   "<z newsize=10>line 2, 10 points<br>" +
   "<z newsize=36>line 3, 36 points<br>" +
   "<z newsize=72>line 4, 72 points<br>" +
   "</magnify>";

Archived