Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Welcome > MarcomCentral News

Notices

Old November 18th, 2014, 05:39 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Default Re: FusionPro VDP 9.3 Now Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith View Post
Attaching a test that shows the issue. In the test, you can see the .cfg and .msg files have the name I originally entered in composition dialog while the output.pdf appends the 1. This did not happen in 8.2 using same layout. I don't have this issue when not using an FPI imposition.
Thanks for posting the job. I am able to reproduce this issue, where a "1" is appended to the output file name (before the extension), on both Windows and Mac. It seems to want to treat the output file name as if chunking (multiple output files) is in effect. The problem seems to be specific to using stacked imposition, which invokes preprocessing.

Can anyone else report what other versions they've seen this problem with? I know it's a regression since 8.2. Does anyone know if it's present in 9.0, 9.1, or 9.2? (I can find out here, just seeing if anyone knows already.)

I think this is the only issue remaining to go into a patch build of 9.3.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

How about tabbing between fields in Custom Color dialog and Composition dialog (Input tab) on Mac? One of the more simple yet annoying bugs I've come across.
FP 9.3.6, MAC OSX 10.9.4, Acrobat 11.0.09
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
How about tabbing between fields in Custom Color dialog and Composition dialog (Input tab) on Mac? One of the more simple yet annoying bugs I've come across.
As I noted earlier in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korn View Post
This is also an issue that was carried over from 9.2. This will be fixed in the next patch release of 9.3.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input. We currently have new builds of FusionPro VDP 9.3 (9.3.12) for both Windows and Mac in QA testing. With any luck, we'll be able to release these some time next week. (If you have an immediate production need for the new version before it's released, please contact Support. Note that templates created with a pre-release version of the software may not be compatible with MarcomCentral, Digital StoreFront, or other web-to-print systems.)

The new Mac build includes fixes for many of the problems brought up in this thread and elsewhere, including:
  • Default button appearance on certain dialogs is incorrect on Yosemite.
  • The tab key is not properly handled in certain dialogs.
  • 2D barcodes not working.
  • Controls on the PPML Options dialog and the Graphics tab of the Composition Settings do not match Windows.
  • Still have references to FP Direct in the UI.
  • InDesign CC 2014 plug-ins installed incorrectly.
  • PitStop error message about rotated frames.
  • All output files are appended with a "1" when using stacked imposition, even if not chunking (fixed on both Windows and Mac).

I was not able to reproduce the following problems:
  • Javascript globals sometimes do not work
  • Imposition selection in compose window does not "stick", if after selecting a file you select another tab
  • Rules with the same name as a database field sometimes are not applied instead of the db field
These may be fixed in the new build, or perhaps I was just not able to reproduce the exact conditions to replicate them.

Regarding fonts, we are aware of ongoing problems, especially on Mac. However, as far as I know, the font handling is no worse in FusionPro 9.3 than it was in previous versions, so there's no regression that we need to address immediately for backward compatibility. I can tell you that we do have plans to overhaul Mac font handling to address these problems, although I don't have a timetable on that. As usual, if you're having problems with specific fonts, please contact Support.
LinkedIn

Old November 20th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Regular Contributor

I just sent to support a video of the bug with
Quote:
Imposition selection in compose window does not "stick", if after selecting a file you select another tab
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Junior Community Member

Joe

When do you think version 9.3.12 will be released? Back on November 20th you were working on fixes. I am interested in the 2D barcode fix.

Damien
Old January 19th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the input. We currently have new builds of FusionPro VDP 9.3 (9.3.12) for both Windows and Mac in QA testing. With any luck, we'll be able to release these some time next week. (If you have an immediate production need for the new version before it's released, please contact Support. Note that templates created with a pre-release version of the software may not be compatible with MarcomCentral, Digital StoreFront, or other web-to-print systems.)
Any update on expected release date for 9.3.12? We are using it with "other web-to-print systems so I am hesitant to contact support for a pre-release patch, but I am eager to take advantage of the fixes.
FP 9.3.6, MAC OSX 10.9.4, Acrobat 11.0.09
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:25 AM
Regular Contributor

I don't see it mentioned anywhere here, so I'll throw this in since we are currently using the pre-release 9.3.12 version. We haven't noticed any real issues but there are a few minor quirks that have popped up.

1) The rule editor window is displaying fonts at an unreadable size (extremely small). The problem seems to be that no font is selected in the editor window settings. Opening the settings dialog and selecting a font fixes this. This is after upgrading systems that had displayed properly previously.

2) Files like the "cfg" and "msg" now seem to be Unicode instead of ASCII. We had some users open a cfg in notepad.exe to make changes and it appeared to them as one, run-on sentence. I had them open it in another text editor (Notepad++ in this case) and it displayed fine. Maybe the line terminators have been changed from CRLF to just CR? We also have some VBscripts running externally that parse msg files looking for certain data. I had to alter the scripts to force the text streams to be read as Unicode, otherwise they were returning gibberish as I assume they were defaulting to read ASCII.

Neither of these are necessarily "broken", as we've taken care of both. I just wanted to bring them up as much for clarification as reporting any issues.

(I'll need to update my signature from 8.2.7 to 9.3.12)
Old January 22nd, 2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Any update on expected release date for 9.3.12? We are using it with "other web-to-print systems so I am hesitant to contact support for a pre-release patch, but I am eager to take advantage of the fixes.
It's just as valid a build as 9.3.6. It just hasn't been released, mostly for business reasons. There are no known regressions from 9.3.6, other than the issue with the rule editor font size that tobarstep mentions below. However, some of the "other web-to-print systems" out there may be set to not accept jobs from 9.3.12; you'd have to ask the vendors of those other systems about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobarstep View Post
I don't see it mentioned anywhere here, so I'll throw this in since we are currently using the pre-release 9.3.12 version. We haven't noticed any real issues but there are a few minor quirks that have popped up.

1) The rule editor window is displaying fonts at an unreadable size (extremely small). The problem seems to be that no font is selected in the editor window settings. Opening the settings dialog and selecting a font fixes this. This is after upgrading systems that had displayed properly previously.
We are working on a fix for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobarstep View Post
2) Files like the "cfg" and "msg" now seem to be Unicode instead of ASCII. We had some users open a cfg in notepad.exe to make changes and it appeared to them as one, run-on sentence. I had them open it in another text editor (Notepad++ in this case) and it displayed fine. Maybe the line terminators have been changed from CRLF to just CR? We also have some VBscripts running externally that parse msg files looking for certain data. I had to alter the scripts to force the text streams to be read as Unicode, otherwise they were returning gibberish as I assume they were defaulting to read ASCII.
This is 100 percent by design. All the log, intermediate, and other files written by FusionPro are now 16-bit Unicode files. The major change in FusionPro 9.2 was the addition of support for Unicode throughout the system, including Japanese and Chinese file name and UI support. The Notepad app in Windows Vista and later should be able to display these files properly, although if you're running XP, you may need to use a different text file editing/reading app.

Note that there may be some line ending inconsistencies in certain files, especially in log (.msg) files which have had lines with \n or \r characters written to them via the Print() function in JavaScript, although files such as CFG and DIF files should all have consistent line endings.
LinkedIn

Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:50 AM
Regular Contributor

Quote:
This is 100 percent by design. All the log, intermediate, and other files written by FusionPro are now 16-bit Unicode files. The major change in FusionPro 9.2 was the addition of support for Unicode throughout the system, including Japanese and Chinese file name and UI support. The Notepad app in Windows Vista and later should be able to display these files properly, although if you're running XP, you may need to use a different text file editing/reading app.

Note that there may be some line ending inconsistencies in certain files, especially in log (.msg) files which have had lines with \n or \r characters written to them via the Print() function in JavaScript, although files such as CFG and DIF files should all have consistent line endings.
OK, that makes perfect sense with what we've seen. We upgraded to 9.3 from 8.7 so this was the first time we'd seen the files as Unicode. Now that we've made the adjustments to our scripts everything works just fine.