Outlining Text

dreimer

I search the forums and saw a few old threads and the answers was no for the most part.

I see that there are Advanced Text Effects for text boxes in later versions and was wondering how to get this to work. I am using the stroke option with Outline of white.

I want to outline just one text box with white and it works on the text box but using this effect causes all the other static text in my background PDF to outline with black. I assume this is not supposed to happen. It does it on Preview and composition. Does this functionality work for others?

TIA

I collected the job. I just have the one text box. So if you change the effects you will see how the artwork changes. It has happened to me on previous jobs when trying drop shadow as well.

Thanks for attaching the job. I see the problem, on record 2.

So it is particular to this template then? Or at least, it doesn't affect all jobs, right?

Your initial description of the problem was not entirely accurate:

I want to outline just one text box with white and it works on the text box but using this effect causes all the other static text in my background PDF to outline with black.

Actually, it's NOT the "static text in [your] background PDF." The background PDF is completely blank. It's text in a PDF graphic that you're bringing in with a graphic frame that's affected. The effect is still unintended, but the reason I'm bringing this up is because, if I had just been looking for stroked text affecting background PDFs, I may never have seen the problem.

It also doesn't affect all PDF resources, although I don't know if we have narrowed down exactly what the underlying issue is.

At any rate, this seems to be a known issue, case FP-11995. I'll add your job to the case files, and bump its priority.

OK, yes you are correct, sorry it is the background pulled in as a resource.

This is the first time I have tried using the feature so I am unable to say for sure if it is only affecting this template.

Thanks for looking into it and referencing the known issue.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This issue seems to pop up randomly on jobs where we get PDF artwork from clients.

The only workaround I have found for this is to either use the Flattener Preview in Acrobat to "Convert All Text to Outlines" OR rasterize / flatten the PDF before adding fusion boxes.