IMB Issues

CSzydlowski

I am attempting to setup a postcard job to test the Intelligent Mail Barcode. I'm using BCC Mail Manager with the "Digits" option selected. I've output a data file and successfully setup my Kodak Inkjet using this data file. When I pull this data into Fusion Pro, insert and set the font to IDAutomation4State barcode. The barcode comes out many bars too short though. I then looked at the onebarcode rule, but it is asking for various fields of information. I want to be able to use my already output string from Mail Manager. In further research I came across a reference to converting the ADFT into the barcode via a posted Java rule. Is this the only solution, using different output types depending on where we chose to run the job? I'd much prefer outputting 1 data file, with the option to use it however I'd like pending our production schedule. Below is a snippet of the data, with some information X'd out. It's pretty obvious to see which field the IMB is in. Thank you for any possible help.

"*********AUTO**3-DIGIT 140","Mr. Sample","","","","XXXX West St","Sanborn, NY 141XX-XXXX","T2 P1","529","0004210718400099999914132921121","",""

Carl Szydlowski

Please refer to this thread for more information about using the Intelligent Mail Barcode in FusionPro, specifically this post and this post.

Basically, you need to divide up the 31-digit string from your data into a 20-digit tracking code and an 11-digit routing code and pass those as separate parameters to the MakeOneCodeBarcode function in a rule. For instance:

var IMB_data = Field("Intelligent Mail Barcode");
return MakeOneCodeBarcode(Left(IMB_data, 20), Right(IMB_data, 11), 12);

Note that you don't need to set the font in the Text Editor as the function inserts the necessary tags. You do need to remember to check the "Treat returned strings as tagged text" box, however.

Dan,

Thank you for the help on the rule. The barcode is now populating and the rule is quite simple to apply. My one issue I am having is that my Inkjet barcode and Fusion Pro barcode do not match. Our new handheld scanner has not arrived yet so I can't scan to compare digits, but do you have any other suggestions?

About the inkjet, an HP 4 head system running Netjet software by Kirk-Rudy. The software works off of the 31 character digit string. I assign the field with the string and the software auto creates the barcode.

My one issue I am having is that my Inkjet barcode and Fusion Pro barcode do not match. Our new handheld scanner has not arrived yet so I can't scan to compare digits, but do you have any other suggestions?

Well, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the accuracy of a barcode is in the eye of the scanner. So I wouldn't necessarily expect that the barcode generated by FusionPro with the IDAutomation4State font would exactly match a barcode generated by a different vendor's solution.

You could try modifying the point size of the barcode text, which is the third parameter to the MakeOneCodeBarcode function. Other than that, without knowing exactly how the two barcodes are different, I'm not sure what else to suggest to resolve the differences.

Archived