Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > FusionPro® VDP Creator

Notices

Old February 18th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Default Non-rectangular variable text frames?

Let's say a customer wants to design a postcard with an image bleeding on all 4 sides, and a solid block of color in the top, right corner in the shape of a right triangle where the 90-degree corner is the top, right corner of the piece. They then want to add a few lines of variable text into that triangular area without it overlapping into the adjacent image.

I tried creating a custom text box in InDesign and exporting with the FP plug-in. I looked for a runaround option in FP thinking I could add an invisible graphic that the copy would flow around. I toyed with the idea of using the "text on a curve" tool in FP to create several lines, and then use JS to flow copy from one line to the next with each line being indented further in to "fake" a diagonal margin. I could not come up with a working solution in any case.

Any solutions you can think of before I suggest a different design to my client?
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: Non-rectangular variable text frames?

Hello,

FusionPro doesn't currently support native non-rectangular text runaround but this is an item we will consider adding to a future version.

In the meantime, there's a workaround that will hopefully work for you. Basically, you create a large text frame that will have your text in it and then create a number of smaller text frames that you place on top of that frame. These small text frames each have text wrap enabled and are positioned in a way that the underlying text appears where you want it to.

This workaround can take a little fiddling with to get it right but the it is an effective means of achieving this effect.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Regular Contributor

Good luck with this. I tried it in one of my templates. It won't work if you want the text centered in the space vertically. I also found reflow and consistent line heights to be a MAJOR pain to deal with. I gave up.

Hopefully Printable will add this feature soon. It really cramps design style having to put everything in squares.
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Junior Community Member

We have achived non-rectangular text boxes by using the findent and rindent values of the <p> tag.
Old February 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Regular Contributor

I'm not familiar with that (obviously). How do you do it? Where does the tag go?
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Junior Community Member

Here is an example of what I have used.

//This method requires the input text to have hard breaks entered as the "<br>" string
//This sample script will produce text in a parallelogram
//Shown here is a sample paragraph with 5 total lines

//This is the leading value you want for the text area
intendedLeading = "12"
leading = " leading =\"" + intendedLeading * 10/2 + "\" "

//Define variable text
//This can come from a rule return value, a variable field, or an external data file
var text = (Field("FieldName")

//Loop through variable text and look for '<br' string
//replace '<br' string with '<br' plus an incrementing value
var counter = 1;
var x = text.replace(/<br/gi,
function(w){return w + counter++});
text = x

//replace '<br' plus the incrementing value with paragraph definitions
//You'll notice in the example the offset of 200 is reversed on the right and left indents
//creating a perfect parallelagram.
//These values can be changed to achieve different text box shapes.
text = ReplaceSubstring(text, "<br1>", "<br>&nbsp;<p quad=\"J\"" + leading + "findent=\"800\" rindent=\"400\">")
text = ReplaceSubstring(text, "<br2>", "<br>&nbsp;<p quad=\"J\"" + leading + "findent=\"600\" rindent=\"600\">")
text = ReplaceSubstring(text, "<br3>", "<br>&nbsp;<p quad=\"J\"" + leading + "findent=\"400\" rindent=\"800\">")
text = ReplaceSubstring(text, "<br4>", "<br>&nbsp;<p quad=\"J\"" + leading + "findent=\"200\" rindent=\"1000\">")

//define position of the last line of text
//requires the last line of text to have "<lastbr>" in order to define the postion
//of the last line
//This is optional to do something diffrent with the last line
text = ReplaceSubstring(text, "<lastbr>", "<br>&nbsp;<p quad=\"R\"" + leading + "findent=\"0\" rindent=\"1100\">")

//Initiate the first values for the left indent and right indent.

return "<p br=\"false\" quad=\"J\"" + leading + "findent=\"1000\" rindent=\"200\">" + text

Last edited by Doug Pershing; February 25th, 2009 at 09:36 AM..
Old December 5th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Junior Community Member

Are there any new solutions in place for flowing text in variable text frame that has a diagonal side? I tried the code Doug posted, but it says it's invalid :/

Any help is appreciated!!
Old December 11th, 2017, 08:53 AM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

You can use a series of empty frames on top of the text frame to wrap around, to approximate the text shape desired. You may need to turn on Legacy leading mode in the Global Paragraph Settings dialog to get the optimal result.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});