Image Processing on Compose

I just have a quick question about how FusionPro processes images when it composes on the server. I have an image that has a moiré pattern in it from the person's jacket pattern. It looks fine when printed directly from photoshop to the RIP on an iGen 4. When the PDF from FusionPro is viewed in Acrobat and printed, it has the pattern. Does FusionPro change the images to JPEG's or a different format than the file that is placed in the layout? I use TIFF files in the layout. I'm just trying to narrow down where the image is getting the pattern from.

I have seen this too. What I have noticed is that PTI's software uses automatic(jpeg) compression with all images. Even if we create our pdfs with zip compression(a non-lossy compression) it gets jpeg compression(a lossy compression) that causes a degradation of the image. I have ask about this before and they said we can't change the settings.

I have seen this too. What I have noticed is that PTI's software uses automatic(jpeg) compression with all images. Even if we create our pdfs with zip compression(a non-lossy compression) it gets jpeg compression(a lossy compression) that causes a degradation of the image. I have ask about this before and they said we can't change the settings.

How are you determining that FusionPro is using a lossy compression algorithm? I'm fairly certain that it doesn't do that, unless you are doing a low-res Preview composition. In a non-Preview composition, if the source graphic uses a type of compression that can be carried over into the output PDF, that compression is preserved; otherwise, the source graphic is actually placed into the output PDF uncompressed.

If you have an example of a FusionPro job using a source graphic with non-lossy compression which results in output with lossy compression, I would love to see it. Please either post it here or send it to FusionProSupport@PTI.com. If it's too large to email, Support can provide you with FTP upload information.

Also, as I said before, ReminderVDP, please feel free to post or send your job. I'd like to take a look at that as well.