Font with a stroke (no this isn't "fill in the joke")

Brian F.

Guest Unregistered

You may have to define a little better what your trying to do.

Typically, I think of use of stroked fonts for etchings or embroidery

or where you need to reduce the curves to a font.

If this is what you mean, FusionPro does not support this internally.

One work around would be to use a tool like the new version of

Fontographer <http://www.fontlab.com/Font-tools/Fontographer/> and

to recreate your font stroked.

I am creating a 2 sided ad card template for use on one of our P1 stores. The piece is for regular digital/offset printing. The designer used a font with a .5pt stroke around it for much of the text.

It is no problem for the text that is not variable because that flattens to the background layer when exported to Acrobat.

It is a problem for the text that does need to be variable where the customer will be entering their own copy. The font works fine but the stroke does not carry over from InDesign to Acrobat and I can't find any tools or settings in the FusionPro menus and palletes to recreate the stroke.

I'm hoping to find away to avoid kicking it back to the designer. It will look out of place if most of the other copyy has the stroke and a couple parts don't.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's what I do that achieves desired effect... format a text box with your variable text-- color black (or dark). Position where you want it. Now copy it. Paste a copy (it should position it exactly on top of previous text box). Use the arrow keys and move the new text box up 2 arrow clicks. Paste again (again, text box will be positioned exactly where previous text box was) and click the left arrow twice. Repeat until you have a text box positioned 2 pixels in each direction. Final steps are paste a new text box, and move it one pixel up and one pixel over-- this should center the new text box. Now double click on new text box, select text, and change to white (or other light color). Walla!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been over two years since the original post requesting the capability to add a stroke to text. I have a need to apply that type of formatting in a job I'm working on. Any chance that feature could be added?

In the meantime, I'm using the multiple text box option that sbronstad suggested.

• 1 year later...

We would like to see the ability to specify a stroke width to variable text. An option to specify different colors for stroke and fill could also be useful.

This could be accomplish by post-processing composed files. A PitStop Pro Action for example. However, if your fill and stroke colors are different, your MarcomCentral store proof would be inaccurate. (Technically, they would be inaccurate if they were the same color, but, depending on the stroke width, probably not evident to the end-user.)

Those of us who need total control of branding requirements, need this ability. Please consider adding it.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
I see how to add stroke with Advanced Text Effects, but how do I create a rule to add stroke to only a single line in the FP text frame?

You can use the <stroke> tag, just like any other markup tag, to modify a particular section of text. Please refer to the FusionPro Tags Reference Guide.

• 1 year later...