Font not found, replaces with Italic family?

Guest Matt

When I compose or re-compose. I get this message the "Arial not found, using italic" . Has anyone ever had this issue? I've seen this happen on several jobs. It happens with other fonts also. Why would it replace it with Italic? I dont even have Italic loaded. The upload templete (under fonts tab) it shows the correct font. But when viewing the pdf, (after the upload template and pluggin in information.....its Italic. Im using a Mac. Im guessing that would be one of the problems. The more I using this fusion pro it seems to be more pc friendly.

Resolving Font Issues on the Apple Macintosh platform

From the Acrobat "Advanced" menu option, select "Use Local Fonts".

Then, from the FusionPro menu in Acrobat, select "FusionPro>>Advanced>>Load Fonts".

Quit Acrobat, then reopen it.

Check to make sure your fonts are selectable in your Text Frame Properties of FusionPro.

Also search for the following files and view in a text editor:

Fonts.err

This file is located in "Mac HD : Library: Preferences : Printable : FusionPro : Fonts"

folder.

Check for copyright or licensing information regarding the font in this file as well.

See if there are any errors in reference to the fonts.

Also look in the fonts.ini to see if the font name is listed and correctly identified.

If you are using a font management software such as Xtensis Suitcase or Font Agent Pro, please ensure that when a font is activated or deactivated in these programs, that they run “Load Fonts” to update the information in FusionPro. Also use these programs to validate fonts and check for duplicate references to them. This will ensure that they are usable. A corrupt font can also present problems with our program.

Check FontBook and resolve any duplicate references to the font in question.

FusionPro will display font errors during composition. This information may also be reflective of a font being referenced in the static artwork and not necessarily used in the variable frames. If these steps do not resolve the issue, have the customer reinstall the font family.

-HTH

Alex

When I compose or re-compose. I get this message the "Arial not found, using italic"

Are you sure that's the exact message you're getting? I'll bet the message you're really getting is actualy like this:

Font <Arial> normal style is not loaded, using italic style of this font family.

It's not that FusionPro is using a font family named Italic; rather, it's using the italic style of the Arial font family.

This is a consequence of the way FusionPro handles fonts. Because of the HTML-like markup that FusionPro uses, with <b> and <i> tags to change the "style" or "face" of a font, it's really referencing font "families" instead of individual font files. Most font families contain four styles: regular, bold, italic, and bold + italic, so any combination is valid. However, some fonts on your system may not contain all four styles, in which case FusionPro won't be able to access every possible combination. This is especially common in the case of a font with the word "bold" or "italic" in its family name. (Should there really be a font family called "Swiss 721 Bold BT", or should there be a family called something like "Swiss 721 BT" with a bold style? There are two schools of thought about this in digital typography. A full philosophical discussion of this is beyond the scope of this forum, however.)

So, if your output appears correctly, you can obviously consider this message as an informational warning, and ignore it. However, if you want to avoid the message entirely, you will need to either (a) modify your job to not invoke the "missing" styles of that font, (b) install all the relevant styles, or © use a different font with all relevant styles included.

Also, as Alex suggested, you should also check your fonts.ini and fonts.err files for any references to the font in question, which may shed some light on why you're not getting the requested style of the font family.

Dan, thank you very much for the information, but I'm still a little confused. The message is appearing exactly as your reply states. My preview and composed output file looks fine. However I know when I get that message, It will appear that way when I do the upload to Printable manager. How can I be consistant in preventing this. Recently I noticed it will give me that "replacing with Italic style" message and If Im using Times for example. I will load and replace my variable text with various Times fonts until fushion accepts the one I load. Meaning it doesnt give me that "replacing with Italic style" when composing. Are you saying that If I have a file that only has ArialMT. I need to load the whole family.....bold, italic, etc. for fusion pro to accept just ArialMT?

Dan, thank you very much for the information, but I'm still a little confused. The message is appearing exactly as your reply states. My preview and composed output file looks fine. However I know when I get that message, It will appear that way when I do the upload to Printable manager.

What precisely do you mean by "appear that way?" How is the output composed from the Manager different than the output composed locally? Are there any UI Rules on anything else in your FusionPro Web job that could be changing the style (bold, italic, etc.) of the text?

How can I be consistant in preventing this. Recently I noticed it will give me that "replacing with Italic style" message and If Im using Times for example. I will load and replace my variable text with various Times fonts until fushion accepts the one I load. Meaning it doesnt give me that "replacing with Italic style" when composing.

What do you mean by "various Times fonts"? Are you talking about different faces (bold, italic, etc.) or do you have different font families? If it's the former, then it seems logical that if you're using the italic style which you have loaded, then you wouldn't get any warning messages.

Are you saying that If I have a file that only has ArialMT. I need to load the whole family.....bold, italic, etc. for fusion pro to accept just ArialMT?

No, you just need to make sure that you've loaded (and for FP Web, collected) whichever fonts you're using in your job. FusionPro should load whatever fonts you have installed on your system, so it's really just a matter of making sure you have the fonts installed. Ideally, you would have a font file representing each of the four styles/faces (normal, bold, italic, and bold+italic) for every font family, but if you don't, then you can only use what you've got.

I'd still like to know what's in your fonts.ini and fonts.err file for the fonts in question.

Also, when you collected the files for upload to FP Web, did you make sure that the "Fonts" box was checked in the Collect dialog?

Finally, when you say, "I will load and replace my variable text with various Times fonts until fushion accepts the one I load," do you mean that you're re-collecting the job and uploading it to FP Web each time? Or do you mean that you're composing locally, and sometimes you get the error message, but the output is unchanged?

What precisely do you mean by "appear that way?" How is the output composed from the Manager different than the output composed locally? Are there any UI Rules on anything else in your FusionPro Web job that could be changing the style (bold, italic, etc.) of the text?

For example; Im working on a file all my fonts appear to be in the system, when im inserting my variable text, all fonts appear in the pull down menu in the "edit flat data". But when I do a "compose" I get the "Arial not loaded using italic style" message. but the output pdf it produces is not showing any italic fonts. But..... when I do a collect for output and upload the files to FP manager...plug in my variable text, choose highres proof, the pdf has italic fonts that I dont want.

What do you mean by "various Times fonts"? Are you talking about different faces (bold, italic, etc.) or do you have different font families? If it's the former, then it seems logical that if you're using the italic style which you have loaded, then you wouldn't get any warning messages.

I mean different families. I only load fonts I need to use. I never stylize them in fusion pro or elsewhere for that matter.

No, you just need to make sure that you've loaded (and for FP Web, collected) whichever fonts you're using in your job. FusionPro should load whatever fonts you have installed on your system, so it's really just a matter of making sure you have the fonts installed. Ideally, you would have a font file representing each of the four styles/faces (normal, bold, italic, and bold+italic) for every font family, but if you don't, then you can only use what you've got.

I'd still like to know what's in your fonts.ini and fonts.err file for the fonts in question.

Also, when you collected the files for upload to FP Web, did you make sure that the "Fonts" box was checked in the Collect dialog?

Yes it is checked. but i was told by Erik Hazzard to uncheck "font subset"

Finally, when you say, "I will load and replace my variable text with various Times fonts until fushion accepts the one I load," do you mean that you're re-collecting the job and uploading it to FP Web each time? Or do you mean that you're composing locally, and sometimes you get the error message, but the output is unchanged?

Ive been in prepress for 15 years and Im pretty knowledgable about fonts and the issues they cause, but I gotta say this fushion pro really has me scratchin my head. Are the some fonts that you know of that are more fushion pro friendly. Perhaps true type work best?

Hi Matt,

Please try to keep your own content separate from the quoted parts in your replies. You may have to manually edit the placement of the [noparse]

and
[/noparse] tags. Or, you can copy-and-paste the content you're replying to and set the quoted parts in italics or some other format; anything that makes it easier to differentiate who's saying what. Don't be afraid to use the "Preview Post" button.

For example; Im working on a file all my fonts appear to be in the system, when im inserting my variable text, all fonts appear in the pull down menu in the "edit flat data". But when I do a "compose" I get the "Arial not loaded using italic style" message. but the output pdf it produces is not showing any italic fonts. But..... when I do a collect for output and upload the files to FP manager...plug in my variable text, choose highres proof, the pdf has italic fonts that I dont want.

A full analysis of this problem may require an examination of your job files. My recommendation is to contact Support.

I mean different families. I only load fonts I need to use. I never stylize them in fusion pro or elsewhere for that matter.

The reason I'm asking about what happens when you do the Collect in FusionPro Desktop is that when you're doing a remote composition with FusionPro Server (which is what FP Web is doing behind the scenes), you're limited to using whatever fonts you have collected in your Assets.dat file. You should be able to examine the .DIF file and see what fonts were collected. Look for the font in question and see if it has entries for all four styles.

And once again, I'd still like to know what's in your fonts.ini and fonts.err file for the fonts in question.

Yes it is checked. but i was told by Erik Hazzard to uncheck "font subset"

I think we're talking about two different dialogs. I was asking about the "Fonts" box was checked in the Collect dialog; you seem to be talking about the "Font Subset" box on the Output tab of the Composition Settings dialog. So, again, do you have the box check on the Collect dialog?

It would also be helpful if you could answer this question more precisely:

I'm not trying to give you the runaround by asking all these questions; I'm trying to analyze the problem. Therefore I need you to help me help you by answering them as completely and precisely as possible. Again, though, a full analysis may only be possible through Support.

Ive been in prepress for 15 years and Im pretty knowledgable about fonts and the issues they cause, but I gotta say this fushion pro really has me scratchin my head. Are the some fonts that you know of that are more fushion pro friendly. Perhaps true type work best?

We support many different types of fonts. A full discussion of the intricacies of myriad font formats and the various ways they can be problematic for FusionPro is beyond the scope of this forum, and isn't really relevant to the problem at hand, which has nothing to do with the type of the font, but with the number of styles you have loaded from the font family. Again, the information in your fonts.ini and fonts.err files will be a lot more illuminating that speculation.

P.S. It's FusionPro; there's no "h" or spaces.

Archived