One Mac, Multiple User Profiles

esmith

Some of our clients are requiring that we adhere to specific security protocols to continue to do business with them. One of the requirements is for Mac users to have separate network accounts that tie into Active Directory. (Currently, we have a single machine-based, local profile for each workstation that all users use generically.)

As a precursor to this change, I have begun testing running multiple LOCAL profiles on a Mac desktop. What I found initially was that Acrobat 9.x (installed under machine account with admin privileges) would not run under a new profile (also with admin privileges).

As a test, I uninstalled Acrobat and all plug-ins (FP, PitStop, and CrackerJack), then reinstalled just the main Acrobat software. This DID allow me to run Acrobat under BOTH admin-level profiles.

Next, I installed FP 6.2P1a. I was able to run Acrobat under the user profile that FP was installed on, but Acrobat would NOT open on the other profile. (Note that I did not install the other software plug-ins -- just FP.)

When I went back and UN-installed FP and tried to launch Acrobat (again with no plug-ins) I still could NOT launch it under the secondary profile. I'm assuming the original FP install had modified the Acrobat app in some way.

We are running OS X 10.6.2 on a desktop Intel Mac. I found an old thread that discussed a similar scenario to my issue here. In that thread, Dan suggested that FP should work under all profiles assuming it was installed with an admin account. That is NOT the case for me.

Can anyone confirm this problem, or offer a solution? We have a finite time window for rolling out network accounts, and need some kind of option for variable workflows!

When installing FusionPro, you will need to ensure that your user account privilges provides read-write access to the "Mac HD : Library" folder of the system.

This appears to be a permissions issue, but not on the Root library. You may need to "chmod –R 777" on the entire Printable Plug-in directory that is installed in Acrobat and InDesign applications. This should resolve the problem.

The admin account that FP was installed under does have read/write access to MacHD:Library as does the secondary admin account.

I don't understand what you mean by your 2nd sentence as the aforementioned MacHD:Library IS the root library.

I checked the read/write access for the Printable Plug-In directory in Acrobat (I'm assuming you mean the app itself) and edited it's permissions, but I did not have a similar folder in InDesign's app contents.

I'll try launching Acrobat from the second profile again tomorrow, but I'm not sure the minor permissions changes I made will make a difference.

When installing FusionPro, you will need to ensure that your user account privilges provides read-write access to the "Mac HD : Library" folder of the system. This appears to be a permissions issue, but not on the Root library. You may need to "chmod –R 777" on the entire Printable Plug-in directory that is installed in Acrobat and InDesign applications. This should resolve the problem.

I stand corrected. Just tried to launch from second admin profile and it appears to be working. Thanks Alex.

• 7 months later...

This appears to be a permissions issue, but not on the Root library. You may need to "chmod –R 777" on the entire Printable Plug-in directory that is installed in Acrobat and InDesign applications. This should resolve the problem.

I just had to do this recently, with the v7 upgrade. Same problem esmith documented. This is something we shouldn't have to do though Alex.

Archived